plastic gas in dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I bought a 5 kegs a while ago from some one (a retailer) I found posting on this site and three of the kegs I received have plastic gas in dip tubes. I haven't been able to find replacements for these. I wondering if I should try to drill these out so a standard dip tube will work. Needless to say I feel like I got screwed by this retailer. Anyone know where to find the replacement parts for these?

If you are going to purchase used kegs make sure you know what you are ordering.

I think a few of my kegs have plastic gas in dip tubes. Are yours broken, or do you just dislike them?

I was unaware that they were a different size than metal dip tubes, but if your plastic ones are broken, then the usual suspects should have replacement plastic ones.

I'll check and post back...

EDIT: I see numerous sites that offer replacement stainless dip tubes for the gas in, but not any plastic ones...

I had several kegs with plastic in dip tubes also. I did buy some on-line, but it was so long ago that I have now forgotton where.
If you are worried about cleaning and sanatizing them, then replace them for sure, but I wouldn't worry about it now. The only reason I replaced one of mine was that it was deformed and I was worried about pressure loss.

I have a couple kegs with plastic gas-in tubes also. One of them is messed up and that keg wont seal. I havnt found any for sale anywhere either. I may try drilling one out and see if it works.

I have a couple kegs with plastic gas-in tubes also. One of them is messed up and that keg wont seal. I havnt found any for sale anywhere either. I may try drilling one out and see if it works.[/Q

drilling is the way I'm leaning right now. All three dip tubes are deformed I have 1 that will hold pressure as is and one that is sort of frankensteined to make it work but it is not the best set up.

I bought my first 2 kegs from NB and one was a firestone with a deformed plastic gas dip tube that was smaller in diameter than "regular" ones. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find replacement ones so I dremeled the hole in the keg out and put a metal dip tube in. It was a bit of a PITA and used up 4 bits, but it worked.

I bought my first 2 kegs from NB and one was a firestone with a deformed plastic gas dip tube that was smaller in diameter than "regular" ones. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find replacement ones so I dremeled the hole in the keg out and put a metal dip tube in. It was a bit of a PITA and used up 4 bits, but it worked.

yea thats my issue and I'm sure its gonna be a pain but I'm thinking that it's gotta be more of a pain having a keg that will not work. thanks for the in put.

The bit I used that worked the best was the 194 High Speed Cutter. It may not be the best bit for the job, but I had it on hand. I also used some aluminum oxide grinding stones, but they broke very easily.

All bits also made terrible noise while grinding so I'd recommend filling the keg with water or wearing ear protection if your neighbors don't mind. Of course you should also wear eye and mouth protection -- cancer cells love particulate heavy metals in your lungs!

One of my kegs has a plastic one. Have not noticed any difference. That said, I have not tried to replace it.

The Firestone Challenger kegs have the plastic tube in it. They're next to impossible to find anymore. I was at the LHBS for about an hour scouring through every supplier catalog they have looking for them one day. I think William's Brewing had them online for a while.

However, all is not lost. If you can't get a good seal it might not be the tube. Those have a thicker, flat gasket on them. It's not an O-ring. They do sell the correct gasket at William's: DIP TUBE SEAL-SPARTENBERG @ Williams Brewing.

I had one odd ball of my 5 kegs with a plastic dip tube. I drilled it out and put the standard stainless steel dip tube in and have had no problems.

Drilling it wasn't that bad at all, just use a good bit of appropriate size and go slow and add some drilling lubrication. Its not that much metal to remove and should go pretty quick and easy.

I found 2-3 out of my 4 also had plastic diptubes but didn't think anything of it. So they are different OD than the stainless ones? What bits are you guys using (material wise) to drill these out?

Why does every freakin online retailer make you become a member? I'm never going to order from you again most likely. Just take my address, and credit card number and send me my crap!
End Rant

I bought a 5 kegs a while ago from some one (a retailer) I found posting on this site and three of the kegs I received have plastic gas in dip tubes. I haven't been able to find replacements for these. I wondering if I should try to drill these out so a standard dip tube will work. Needless to say I feel like I got screwed by this retailer. Anyone know where to find the replacement parts for these?

If you are going to purchase used kegs make sure you know what you are ordering.

Midwest Supplies has SS gas in dip tubes

Dip Tube, Gas In (Stainless Steel) :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I found 2-3 out of my 4 also had plastic diptubes but didn't think anything of it. So they are different OD than the stainless ones? What bits are you guys using (material wise) to drill these out?

Why does every freakin online retailer make you become a member? I'm never going to order from you again most likely. Just take my address, and credit card number and send me my crap!
End Rant

I just used whatever I had on hand. Nothing special, just whatever cheap bit was in my set. Since you are just reaming the opening wider, any metal bit should bite enough to take that small amount of metal as long as you go slow and lube it. It migt be faster to use a fancy bit made for drilling stainless but I got by with my cheap set from Habor Freight. Pick a bit size that will slide in the hole without being forced down to the bottom lip. Drill away and drop a stainless dip tube in.

Drilling it wasn't that bad at all, just use a good bit of appropriate size and go slow and add some drilling lubrication. Its not that much metal to remove and should go pretty quick and easy.

I'm pretty sure that's what got me. I didn't use any lube and went at it hard and fast. :cross:

I know this is an old post but I actually just noticed the same thing about some newly purchased used kegs. I found some plastic gas-in dip tubes at CHIcompany. They're only 2 bucks! I ordered 6 so I have plenty of replacements.

www.chicompany.net

Is it just me, or is the only thing the gas in tube is good for is holding the poppit up?

Couldn't you just get that little insert thingy from a compression fitting (The dip tube shaped brass insert for plastic tubing) and slam the washer on that?

I never understood what that tube was for, besides holding the poppit up. You might be able to do that with just a washer...

Back