Tarnished Batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MConnelly

Reaction score
I just completed my first foray into homebrewing but, after reading some online posts about sanitation, fear I may have ruined my batch. After transferring my wort to my fermentation bucket, while inserting the 3-piece airlock into the top of my fermenter, I forced the black seal/ring through the hole. After unsuccessfully trying to fish it out with my brew spoon, I soaped up my left hand and arm and fished it out manually. Will this ruin my batch? How will I know?

That's what I did right before my first post here on the forum. I didn't fish it out, though. Just slapped the airlock on it anyway and secured with some duct tape.

Even today, I mutter to myself, "Airlock on the lid, lid on the bucket" in that order as I finish up a brew. I did buy another $.35 grommet just in case it happened again, thouugh. Since I learned the hard way to put the airlock on the bucket lid first, then the lid on the bucket, I haven't had it happen again.

When something goes wrong in brewing, remember the advice from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" - "Don't Panic". Stop, relax, and try to think of a way to solve the problem without contaminating anything. Sometimes wives, children, or innocent standbyers can come up with a solution. Experience helps here. In your case, I would leave the grommet in the fermenter, wrap tape (electricians, masking, duct, shipping, take your pick) around the airlock to seal it and stick it in. Or cover the lid with plastic wrap to seal it. Then at your leisure the next day pick up a replacement grommet at your homebrew supplier or hardware store.

One lesson is to have a backup for things that can go wrong. In your case, get a replacement grommet the next time you are at the homebrew store. I always have backup yeast in the refrigerator to deal with potential yeast problems.

Inexperience is what differentiates us and our brews from the big boys.

Latest posts

Back