Can you ferement too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacounts3

Reaction score
My beer will hit the 2 weeks of fermenting mark this coming Tuesday. I have ordered bottles to bottle the beer in, but I do not think they'll make it here by this Tuesday. What is the maximum amount of time I could leave the beer in the 1 gallon fermenting jug without hurting it?

Lots of beers sit for a long time.
A couple weeks is quick.

I've got a pumpkin ale that's been in the bucket maybe three months?
I'm about to bottle it soon.

My honey wit is nearly two months old and about to go from the bucket to the keg.
I haven't even tasted the honey wit since sealing the bucket. No use opening it and risking infection before I think it's ready.
I tasted the pumpkin after about a month. I decided to secondary that one to clear it up some.

As for ordering bottles, for one gallon of beer you should have just bought a half rack, drank it and used those bottles.
The cost of mail ordering bottles vs buying beer and drinking it can't be that big and you get to drink the beer

I get nervous around week 5 on the yeast cake, others say longer. 2 weeks is fine though. A month is usually fine also

Latest posts

Back