Fermenting temp tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agrice

Reaction score
I live in an old building in southern California, and we don't have AC. Does anyone have any tips for keeping my beer cool while fermenting? It's a little high now 75 F, but it will get really hot soon here.

Swamp cooler - a tub or basin filled with cold water into which you place the fermentor. Replace bottles filled with ice daily or as needed.

dude it's March, I think you'll be ok. i don't know where you're located but high temps for san diego are rarely going to break 70. if you're brewing now you should be good until at least april/may...

Swamp coolers seem to be a good option if you are on a budget. Basically a big trash can or Rubbermaid container big enough to hold your fermenter, some water and some ice bottles. Check this thread for pics - Swamp Coolers

I have thought of the swamp cooler idea and it will be tough to get by my GF I think. Also, I am in Los Angeles and my apt gets in the 80's-90's during the hot days in summer. I mean it's March and I can't keep it below 70 in my closet.

Well this is going to be your cheapest option. After this you pretty much move on to fermentation chamber builds and those are going to be more expensive than a swamp cooler. Tell her it's the cheapest option.........

Yeah, I'll convince her it will just be a pain. At some point I'll have to make one but this will have to do.

Back