Boiling hopped extract with a partial mash and more hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comet909

Reaction score
Hey All,

Was helping a friend move the other night and he gave me all of the brewing perishables that were laying around. This included a couple cans of hopped ipa extract. I plan on making an IPA for a party and using this along with a partial mash of some two row, biscuit and crystal. I'll also be adding my own hops (I've got tons to spare) for bitterness and aroma.

I'll be doing a full boil. Not a partial boil.

Now I've read "don't boil hopped extract because it kills hop aroma and flavor" but I'll be adding my own flavor and aroma with my hops.

I've also read "full boils with extract help to erase the extract twang"

So plan is to do the partial mash, add water and hopped extract, boil 60 minutes making my planned hop additions. Does this make sense? Thanks.

I've not used hopped extract, but your approach seems reasonable. I would hope the hopped extract provides an estimated IBU level and you can make your hop addition calculations based on that. Do you have a final recipe you can post?

The hopped extracts that I have used, I have always boiled for 60 minutes and added flav/aroma hops to. The bitterness is there, and, depending on taste of course, does not need much improvement. Flavor and aroma does suffer from the long boil and it is IMHO always necessary to add some at <20 minutes and at flameout. And/or dry hop.

Back