Can cider properly ferment in plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
As long as a use a seperate bucket for wine/mean/cider than I use for beer, can I ferment my cider in platic only or do I need a carboy? What are the advantages, disadvantage? Thanx.

I'm not sure as I have not done it myself, but I kinda think that for the longer term fermentation that the plastic would not be recommended. But I also hear about guys who purely use plastic buckets and better bottles. I'm sure others will chime in on this one.

talleymonster said:
but I kinda think that for the longer term fermentation that the plastic would not be recommended.

What about a faster type like Edworts Apfelwein? Would there be any problem?

If you're using better bottles, oxygen permeability isn't a concern. I would not use a plastic fermenting bucket for the longer terms required for cider however. Get yourself a better bottle or carboy instead.

If you're adding various ingredients like other fruits, or spices or what have you, a plastic bucket is always a good idea. It's a pain in the butt to clean out bits of fruit, cinamon sticks and the like from a carboy

I've only used plastic buckets for ciders and have never had a problem. Some of the fruit ciders were in the bucket for two months.

Ive always used plastic buckets with spigot for all my brewing-beer, mead, and cider. Some say glass is better, but Ive been pleased with my results so far. Although I would like a conical fermenter

newell456 said:
What about a faster type like Edworts Apfelwein? Would there be any problem?

I did my first batch of Apfelwein in my Ale Pale. It turned out pretty good!

Back