I searched, But couldn't find any help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've decided to start a thread.
Does anyone know anything about lightbulbs? It's dark in my house. I have a Mr. Bulb kit that I've used with limited success, but it's really not all that great. I was expecting something closer to sunlight.

Thanks in advance fo any help.

Cut a hole in a wall, but not a northern facing well. No sun gets in that way. But make damn sure you sanitize your cutting tool. And whatever you do, step away from the hole. A lack of sunlight in no way indicates that the sun is not actually lighting your home.

Have you tried knocking a hole in your ceiling yet? It works quite well, but only for a few hours a day. Its as close to sunlight as I can get you.

Well first thing you need to do is go and ask that question in the begginers forum, the bottling forum, and also the all grain forum. Dont bother looking at the stickies at the tops (they are all lies). Then you need to tell everyone that they are wrong because you just want to make something that will make light that will get you more drunk.

Then you need to tell everyone that they are wrong because you just want to make something with more alcohol in the light.

Close...but I'm not sure that is really what I want. See, I've never really had light before, and alcohol makes me fall down. So I'm not sure that is the rout for me.

If I knock a hole in the roof, will I be able to re close it at night so the sun doesn't keep me awake?

Close...but I'm not sure that is really what I want. See, I've never really had light before, and alcohol makes me fall down. So I'm not sure that is the rout for me.

If I knock a hole in the roof, will I be able to re close it at night so the sun doesn't keep me awake?
Depends on how handy you are. You could go to the lighting store and have somebody install an overhead for you. Or you could do it yourself. Check the sticky in the DIY section, n00b, before you bug as all with these inane questions.

Why do you want light if you've never had it before? Shouldn't you find out if you actually like it first?

That is the magical thing about sunlight, it knows exactly when to shine. as long as you let it do its natural thing it will only shine durring the day. So just RDWHSS and pull out that sledge:mug:

Have you searched for glass navels? (aka belly button)

Sorry, you opened yourself up for that one. :D

Depends on how handy you are. You could go to the lighting store and have somebody install an overhead for you. Or you could do it yourself. Check the sticky in the DIY section, n00b, before you bug as all with these inane questions.

Why do you want light if you've never had it before? Shouldn't you find out if you actually like it first?

Well....I thought I'd like it, cause everyone I respect likes it, and I respect everyon that likes it...so...I figured I'd like it too.
Problem is, I just bought a light bulb store, and it seems that I should have some in my house If I'm gonna sell them.....

Thans for Nutten! And no need to point out my Noob Status....And also no need to be so snarky....I was just looking for advice. Glad SOME people here are actually willing to help.

Don't we have Moderators here to keep tabs on people like you?

That is the magical thing about sunlight, it knows exactly when to shine. as long as you let it do its natural thing it will only shine durring the day. So just RDWHSS and pull out that sledge:mug:

I disagree. Yes, sunlight is a natural force, but I think you are making light of the potential consequences of his actions. RDWHSS is generally good advice, but IMHO the point is to produce the best internal lighting experience possible. I mean sure, if you're content with just any old "light" then by all means just crack it open. But if you want to gain a real appreciation for a fully balanced lighting environment, you really have to pay attention to the details. I mean, that's the whole point, right? I could just go down to the hardware store and pick up a 6-pack 40w bulbs real cheap if I didn't care about the finer points of depth, richness and character.

HEY!

I started a similar thread last night and it got immediately merged!!!

Extra no fair!

:mad::(

Well....I thought I'd like it, cause everyone I respect likes it, and I respect everyon that likes it...so...I figured I'd like it too.
Problem is, I just bought a light bulb store, and it seems that I should have some in my house If I'm gonna sell them.....

Thans for Nutten! And no need to point out my Noob Status....And also no need to be so snarky....I was just looking for advice. Glad SOME people here are actually willing to help.

Don't we have Moderators here to keep tabs on people like you?
Sensitive, sensitive. Stick around long enough and you'll realize I'm an instigator. A wise man around here once said that and I saw the light.

(Light, get it, see what I did there).:D

I disagree. Yes, sunlight is a natural force, but I think you are making light of the potential consequences of his actions. RDWHSS is generally good advice, but IMHO the point is to produce the best internal lighting experience possible. I mean sure, if you're content with just any old "light" then by all means just crack it open. But if you want to gain a real appreciation for a fully balanced lighting environment, you really have to pay attention to the details. I mean, that's the whole point, right? I could just go down to the hardware store and pick up a 6-pack 40w bulbs real cheap if I didn't care about the finer points of depth, richness and character.

Whoa there cowboy.... Yes I agree that there should be pride in the quality of sunlight produced, but that strays from the OP's question of:

My answer was simply to illistrate that while I am sure it can happen, you are not likley to get sunlight during the night. Now this is a noob question that I tried to adress courteously, because we have all been there at one time or another. Sure I could have gone into balancing your lumens, using reflection and refraction to maintain even lighting, and strategic shadowing, which are all very useful techniques to improve your lighting environment, but if the OP is trying to develop the basic principals of using sunlight, I think it is best to KISS and RDWHSS.

Well are you trying to replicate the lite light that most people like or do you want something of better quality?

Hey You f'in N00B If you used our GLORIUS search function you woulda seen that there already was TWO THREADS ON THIS TOPIC IN THE LAST 24 HOURS...

Sheesh.....We gotta wipe yer A$$E$ for you on here now???

gtfo-take-fail.jpg

Mod's get off your a$$e$ and Pleeze merge this thread with the other two

WOW, being mean can be cathartic....I need a ciggy now...

:D

We have no reason to believe the OP is not of age for light. He simply asked about making it himself. I think that unless he proves otherwise, we have to assume he's legit. No reason to ruffle feathers.

A lot of consideration needs go into deciding what quality of light you are looking for. Certainly the choices run the gambit from simple daylight, which occurs naturally, albeit at different times of the day, all the way to nuclear fission, which is a much more advanced subject than we can get into on this board.

Frankly, I have nothing against light of all kinds, but what YOU want is the question.

You could even rub your legs under a blanket in the winter. You can usually get a few sparks that way, and you can share it with the kids. Of course you will want to explain about how others use light, in case you are concerned about them abusing it in the future. Enjoy light responsibly, I say.

In my time lurking here, the best advice I've seen for beginners is to get all your stuff together, bulbs or otherwise, and put it in a closet; someplace you can forget about it.

You want to avoid monkeying with it and second guessing yourself about a ruined batch or infection; Most people don't realize just how difficult it is to actually get a sunlight infection.

Latest posts

Back