Dry Hop Pron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
Here is the American pale ale i just racked to my secondary with 1oz of Cascade plugs. I had to cut them in half to get them in and, as you can see, they have broken apart nicely. It only took a few hours for them to cover the top of the beer.

vegas.jpg

vegas2.jpg

I see your 1 oz of cascades and raise you 2 oz of centennial. Any one with 3? :)
Beerday2003.jpg

Nice pics and I bet that's going to be one tasty APA with those cascades!!

brewt00l said:
I see your 1 oz of cascades and raise you 2 oz of centennial. Any one with 3? :)
Beerday2003.jpg

Nice pics and I bet that's going to be one tasty APA with those cascades!!

I actually ordered 2oz of cascades and was going to dry hop all of them but I read an article on BYO where the author suggests starting out with 1oz just to get a feel for how it changes the flavor.

I'd like to avoid some grassy flavors in the beer so I think I'm just going to go 10 days in the secondary with the 1oz of cascade.

BNVince said:
I actually ordered 2oz of cascades and was going to dry hop all of them but I read an article on BYO where the author suggests starting out with 1oz just to get a feel for how it changes the flavor.

I'd like to avoid some grassy flavors in the beer so I think I'm just going to go 10 days in the secondary with the 1oz of cascade.

2oz of cascades would prb be pretty heavy handed on an APA...that's my stone IPA clone in the pict. It was dry hopped for about 14 days with the 2oz and has a fantastic hop nose!

brewt00l said:
2oz of cascades would prb be pretty heavy handed on an APA...that's my stone IPA clone in the pict. It was dry hopped for about 14 days with the 2oz and has a fantastic hop nose!

Stone IPA...oh baby! I went to pick up a six pack of it on Friday and it was the only beer the place was sold out of. Unreal.

Looks like its going to be a good beer man.

BNVince said:
Stone IPA...oh baby! I went to pick up a six pack of it on Friday and it was the only beer the place was sold out of. Unreal.

Looks like its going to be a good beer man.

It's mighty tasty!

Enjoy your APA when it's done. What was the recipe?

brewt00l said:
It's mighty tasty!

Enjoy your APA when it's done. What was the recipe?

Pretty simple extract recipe really.

1lb Crystal 60L steeped for 30 minutes at 160 degrees.
Added 3lbs of Light DME.
Brought to a boil and added .5oz of Nugget pellet hops.
45 minutes added 1oz perle pellet hops.
30 minutes added 3lbs of Light DME.
Finished up 1 hour boil, cooled and pitched from a starter I made of WhiteLabs California Ale yeast.

I fermented in the primary for 5 days. Fermentation took off in under 8 hours and I hit 1.012 yesterday so I transferred to the secondary with 1oz cascade dry hopped. It smelled fantastic during transfer.

I just put 1oz of cascade and 1oz of centennial in my IPA in the secondary. I'm going for serious hop aroma and flavor on this beer.

I just bottled this last night and the aroma smells just like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It should be mighty tasty. If it tastes as good as it smells, I'm going to make it my house ale especially since I harvested a bunch of yeasties from the first batch.

Latest posts

Back