Sam Adams Brew video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Anyone else watched this on their site? After watching it I have come to two different conclusions.

1. He does not want people to make good beer and interfere with his business.
Or
2. He just does not know how to brew at a small level.

Some of the stuff he does in that video just amazes me. It goes against everything I have ever read. Im also calling BS on the beer he drinks at the end being the one he brewed. Pouring two cans of LME in a boiling pot on the burner and not string and it comes out that light, yeah I bet.

The OG reading looked more like an FG.

I guess the laws of microbiology cease to apply at his place - just throws the thermometer in the wort, after feeling it up ?

Yeah, you can't make good beer at home - buy my crap - I need to eat too !!!

If you're a fan of diacetyl, his Boston Lager is good.

You have to cut the guy some slack. He's trying to make the process look really accessible so he left out some details. It's not meant to be the end all instructional video.

Lots of SA bashing around here. Ever try to get a decent beer at an airport. As subpar as SA may be in the grand scheme, it saved my ass from drinking a Budlight many many times.

Bobby_M said:
You have to cut the guy some slack. He's trying to make the process look really accessible so he left out some details. It's not meant to be the end all instructional video.

Lots of SA bashing around here. Ever try to get a decent beer at an airport. As subpar as SA may be in the grand scheme, it saved my ass from drinking a Budlight many many times.

Right, if it was too involved, a lot of people would not even try homebrewing. If there is no good beer, SCOTCH.

Actually, it looked a lot like my first batch. Except I dumped the whole pot into a bucket of ice.

Bobby_M said:
Ever try to get a decent beer at an airport. As subpar as SA may be in the grand scheme, it saved my ass from drinking a Budlight many many times.

Thats what Jack is for. :D

The guy was faking it.
Not brewing for real.

I didn't watch it all but whe did he have 2 packs of yeast in the kit.
It was dried and one 11g pack is more than enough for 6 gallons of beer.

Listen, if the marketing is true (and I really have no doubts key employees really do this), Jim encourages his employees brew beer at home. This, in and of itself is pretty commendable.

You (younger) guys have no idea what it was like before the micro beer revolution.

Right now you can buy more varieties of bottled water at a 7-11 than there were beers available at your local bar.

Commercial Brewers like Sam Adams are the proverbial rising tide that floats all boats.

orfy said:
The guy was faking it.
Not brewing for real.

I didn't watch it all but whe did he have 2 packs of yeast in the kit.
It was dried and one 11g pack is more than enough for 6 gallons of beer.

Another one of his movies - boilover did look real (all over the stove)

My first kit was a True Brew Maeistro Red Ale. It's what got me started brewing (and even drinking beer)
Yep, only had one packet of yeast and it worked fine.

I want to know why the patriot brew contest is only open to residents of 6 'New England States' and not the rest of us!

I was planning on sending a few entries too. :/

jezter6 said:
I want to know why the patriot brew contest is only open to residents of 6 'New England States' and not the rest of us!
:/

'Cause everybody who doesn't get the privalidge of rooting for the Pats would just be sending in bitters.... :D

Back to the main topic I think the videos are good for getting people involved. Will they show you how to make great beer? prob not. Will they show you how to make beer? hell yeah. Dont forget the power of your first beer. When people see how easy it is they will try it, if they like it, then they will make the major investment but is supposed to be an easy intro to the hobby

Kinda surprised at all the negative feedback. Sam Adams is the only major brewer that really talks about his beer quality with some sort of passion. As olllllo said, he encourages his employees to homebrew. Sponsors the annual long shot competition. Keeps pop tops on his bottles for us. Has always been a vocal supporter of homebrewing.

Listen to some of his interviews, he's done all the major beer podcasts that do interviews. The man is a big fan and supporter of our hobby.

So what, his videos are a little bit over simplified and silly (I only watched the first 3) the idea is to get people to try out the process and get started in learning. Go look at some of the posts in the beginner area here if you haven't recently. There are a lot of people who got their start doing very similar batches to what he's doing in the videos. I would never brew like that anymore but it's a great place to start and he's pitching Charlie's book for continued learning.

dantodd said:
Kinda surprised at all the negative feedback.

What would you expect from a bunch of EAC's watching some guy attempt an extract brew while at the end substitute a stunt brew for the swill he produced. :D

olllllo said:
Listen, if the marketing is true (and I really have no doubts key employees really do this), Jim encourages his employees brew beer at home. This, in and of itself is pretty commendable.

Not sure if they still do it, but SA used to have a mandatory home brew contest for the employees. My best friend worked for them (his girlfriend still does) and I brewed all of his entries. Not only did they have to brew the beer, they had to come up with a label and marketing campaign as well.

SA beers usually aren't my favorites but I'll drink them over any bmc any day.

Back