Recipe for a Warrior-heavy IPA (suggestions please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcHokie

Reaction score
I just got a full pound of Warrior pellets from a buddy and I'm thinking about brewing a IPA or IIPA that utilizes mostly Warrior. I've only used them for bittering and dry-hopping, but would like to try mixing in some at 15,10,5,0...maybe with something complementary like Cascade or Amarillo

To keep it interesting I'm thinking I'll do a 10 gallon batch with 1 American yeast and 1 Belgian yeast (and maybe brett).

Sooooo....does anyone have a recipe they really like that is heavy on Warrior hops? Or anyone wanna play 'build that recipe'??

I'll bite... I love warrior for bittering, but haven't used it for much else...but:

3oz warrior @ 60
2oz warrior @ 5
4oz cascade @5
3oz warrior dry
4oz cascade dry

That'll burn you through a 1/2lb of each.

maybe something along these lines??

83% 20 0 Pale Malt, 2 Row, US 36 2
8% 2 0 Toasted Malt 33 27
4% 1 0 Crystal 20L 34 20
2% 0 8 Cane Sugar 45 0
2% 0 8 Flaked Barley 30 2
24 0

Batch size: 11.0 gallons
Original Gravity (1.052 to 1.061)
Final Gravity (1.010 to 1.012)
Color 7° SRM / 15° EBC (Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency 75%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 2.0 Warrior pellet 15.0
boil 5 mins 4.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 5 mins 2.0 Warrior pellet 15.0
dry hop 7 days 4.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 3.0 Warrior pellet 15.0

Boil: 12.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness 67.4 IBU / 30 HBU
Yeast - Wyeast - Pac Man (1764)
Alcohol 6.4% ABV / 5% ABW

Isn't Warrior known to be a "clean bittering" hop and not really have much flavor? That's why it's always a long bittering addition?

Isn't Warrior known to be a "clean bittering" hop and not really have much flavor? That's why it's always a long bittering addition?

I don't know... but, boy does it ever smell great when fresh!

One thing I do know though, is that Troegs dry hops Nugget Nectar with Warrior... so there's that ;)

that would probably explain the lack of Warrior-centric recipes...guess i should invite other hops to this party

I just made a black IPA with warrior and nugget as the main hops...I get a REALLY grapey aroma and flavor from the combo. It was 2:1 nugget to warrior.

dude do it, ive been wanting to make an all warrior ipa.. its the most bitter hop imo...

the only reason i haven't is that hops direct didn't have it and im not willing to pay 3 bux an ounce at home brew mart..

JUST DO IT, DO IT!

I went ahead and brewed the IPA this past Saturday.

Ended up using a good amount of, but not all, Warrior. The recipe was about 20 lbs 2-row, couple lbs toasted Marris Otter, 3/4 lb crystal40, 1/2 lb corn sugar to dry it a bit. Warrior to bitter, then Warrior & Summit for flavor and aroma with another ounce of Columbus at flame out for good measure. Did a 10 gallon batch with US05 as the clean american half and the other 5 gallons with a mix of wyeast 3787 & 1388 for a belgo-american version to play around with. I'll probably dry hop with a few ounces of Warrior as well.

I'll let you know how it turns out, if its decent I'll post the full recipe details.

Try hopbursting. Anybody have LeftHands Warrior beer? I havent yet and wonder if its all warrior..Ive had the mikkellers warrior single hop ipa and loved it.

Try hopbursting. Anybody have LeftHands Warrior beer? I havent yet and wonder if its all warrior..Ive had the mikkellers warrior single hop ipa and loved it.

I've had neither but I've enjoyed a couple of other Mikkellers single hop versions. LeftHands website says they use: Fresh Colorado grown Cascades, Warrior, varieties from our estate and local community contributors

Truthfully, I'm a hopbursting virgin, but on this batch I did only a small 60 min bittering addition (since they were 15% AA) and then a pretty heavy schedule of additions at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0 with all varietals between 15%-18.5% AA, so perhaps quasi-bursting? It clocked in at about 59-60 IBU

Ill admit too , im a hopbursting virgin. There i said it. I dont plan on popping that too soon yet, i have a brewing agenda already lined up.but soon i will, just want to know the right hops to do it wilth.
I was just suggesting,and sounds fun.

I just got this carbed up, went over real well at a club meeting this week and shared it with some friends who really liked it so thought I'd pass along the final recipe.

Falls into what I'd consider a Pacific NW IPA: an earthy clean, resiny dank bitterness. Nice dry hop aroma, but not that floral, perfumy aroma I associate with a California/West Coast IPA. I don't brew a lot of IPAs, but this one might be worthy of a rebrew.

Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV: 7%
Color: 8° SRM (Gold to Copper)
Bitterness: 56.8 IBU
Mash: 152 F 70 mins
Mash Efficiency 75%
Boil: 6.0 for 60 minutes
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Grain
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
85% 10 6 2 Row Pale Malt
8% 1 0 Home-toasted 2Row malt
4% 0 8 Cane Sugar
3% 0 6 Crystal 40L

Hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil
60 mins 0.75 Warrior pellet 15.0
boil
15 mins 0.25 Summit pellet 18.0
boil
10 mins 0.5 Summit pellet 18.0
boil
5 mins 0..50 Warrior pellet 15.0
boil
1 min 0.50 Columbus pellet 15.4
boil 1 min 0.75 Summit pellet 18.0
Dryhop 9 days 0.75 Warrior pellet 15.0
Dryhop 9 days 1.0 Summit Pellet 18.0

Yeast: US05

this looks intriguing. Has anyone else done this brew or anything similar? I love me some warrior and considering I just participated in my first group buy, I have a lot of grain to play with.

I just brewed a warrior based black IPA today, my own recipie. After tasting the wort, I feel that it is gonna be pretty good. Its just starting airlock activity as I type this. Given its color and the warrior hops, I have named it "The Black Knight". Hoping it is hoppy enough to give my tounge flesh wounds.

6lb dark LME
1lb de-bittered black malt (15 min steep @150-155)
1oz warrior for 60 min
2oz warrior for 10 min
2oz warrior @ flameout
1oz cascade dry hop
Nottingham ale yeast

Yoopers DFH 60 minute IPA is a great clean IPA with warrior for bittering hops. Then simcoe and Amarillo for flavor/aroma.

Latest posts

Back