Gerst Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
Does anyone have a AG (or any) recipe for a Gerst beer clone? Been looking around and can not come up with anything.

Thanks in advance.

Old thread, but here's what I brewed after discussing with the Yazoo folks. Really happy with the result.

Gerst Amber - 5 gallon
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.75 lb 2-Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 49.83 %
3.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 31.47 %
1.18 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 12.41 %
0.60 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 6.29 %
0.25 oz Pearle [7.70 %] (55 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
0.25 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.25 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (7 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1 Pkgs WY 1968 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.26 %
Bitterness: 11.0 IBU
Calories: 193 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.7 SRM

I am thinking about trying an extract version of this recipe. Would substituting 6 lbs of Amber LME for the 2-row and Vienna Malt make sense or would a different extract be better suited? Was gonna keep the rest of the recipe the same

Here's my dos centavos. YMMV, and others may offer contrary opinion...

It depends if you are trying to replicate the beer exactly, or just get a similar vibe. My understanding of Briess amber is that it includes Pale, Cara 60L, and Munich malts. I'm sure other brands are of a similar nature, but I'm not as sure of the makeup of those. So, yes, it would be a different grain bill, but I'm sure it would make a tasty beer nonetheless.

If I was planning this as an extract with a steep and trying to get as close to the original recipe as possible, my inclination would be to swap the 2-row for a pale/extra light DME/LME and steep the Vienna and crystal, but that's just the way I'd do things (not saying it has to be done my way). I would be inclined to go this way simply because a) the Vienna malt flavor is important to this beer, b) the Munich (though tasty) would lend a different flavor profile (again, assuming that this is the DME you are using), and c) I didn't run any numbers, but my gut is that the amber DME may be too dark for this beer (but I may be off base on this point). Regardless, yes you can use it, and I'm sure it would have a tasty end result, but it might not end up as the same beer.

Also, there are differing thoughts on this, but most conclude that flaked corn in the steep would not be the best option. In my early days I did this once, and the beer had problems (maybe not related to the corn), but I avoided it after that in my extract/steep days. I've done a fair amount of reading on this since then, and most say it will add protein and not much else. I'd likely use dextrose or something in its place. Of course, you could also do a mini-mash of the grains/corns to sidestep this entire point.

That's probably more info than you wanted... ;)

Thats exactly what I wanted and makes perfect sense! I'd definately like to get as close to the beer as possible. For the most part in the past all I have done in the past (have only brewed 5 beers so far) is find an extract recipe I like and take it to my not so local brew shop and they would gather the ingredients for me. I learned quite a bit about different extracts while trying to figure out how to turn all grain into an extract recipe. Makes the hobby that much more enjoyable!! Thanks for the help!

should I adjust the lbs of Vienna Malt if its steeped instead of mashed? I've read that there is little sugar in Vienna Malt to begin with.

Any opinions on this exrtact version?

4lbs - Muntons Plain Extra Light ME
3lbs 2oz - Vienna Malt
1lbs 4oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt 20L
1lbs - Briess 2-row Pale Malt
12oz - Corn, Flaked
8oz - Dextrose
.35 oz - Pearle (55 min)
.35 oz - Tettnang (20 min)
.30 oz - Tettnang (7 min)
1 Pkgs WY 1968 Yeast-Ale

I'm only doing a 3 gallon boil at this time and then topping off in the fermenter. I did a little reading and couldnt find a substitute for the flaked corn, but read if you steep with a pound of 2-row it will provide suffiecient enzymes for the flaked corn and still provde the flavor that flaked corn can provide whereas just adding corn sugar I would not get the flavor. I did add some corn sugar to bump up the SG (that make any sense)?

This is my first attempt at formulating a recipe so it might be a complete disaster!

Was at the Yazoo brewery tonight, though I didn't have Gerst tonight. Still one of my favorites...

Question... are you planning to countertop mini-mash this, or steep it? IMHO, there's really not much difference... Just get your water to 160 in a pot on the stovetop (or on a turkey fryer), drop the cracked grains into it, and maintain a 152ish temp for an hour (as opposed to 170 for 30 min for a steep... I take it off of the heat and wrap with blankets to maintain temps). If it were me, I'd go ahead and do that, but that's your call. IMHO, that's a pretty big steep. I've never steeped that much grain (but I haven't steeped anything for a few years, so I may be talking poo). In theory, the recipe looks solid if it is a mini-mash.

FYI, here's where I started my countertop mini-mashing career, which moved on to full BIAB mashes soon after. It's a good article, though I do everything in the pot instead of in the cooler now...

BYO Countertop Partial Mashing article

My wife and myself love Yazoo beer. We get to Nashville about 2 times per year, but have yet to make it to the brewery (usually have our 2 boys with us). We always bring home a couple cases of Yazoo, but it doesnt last long. This is the first time we had seen the Gerst and my wife fell in love with it. Figured if I could clone Gerst and get something at least close she may be a little more supportive of me brewing!!

My plan was just to steep, but if all a mini-mash entails is maintaining 152 for an hour versus 30 minutes I could probably do that. Might just have to give it a try and see what I end up with!! Thanks for all your help!

Back