Yeast Pitching Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heatwaves

Reaction score
I made a batch of Kolsch today. I'm using White Labs 029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast. The optimal fermentation temp is 65 - 69 F, but my local homebrew shop told me to keep the fermenter on the low end of that 60 - 65. My fermenter is at 64 currently.

After I already pitched the yeast, I read on the label that yeast should always be pitched at 70 or above until fermentation begins. Will the yeast stay dormant at 64 and should I slowly elevate the temp back up to 70 before lowering it again? (I left the yeast out for about 5 hours to room temp,about 75, before pitching.)

Many thanks for your help!

64 65 close enough. Don't worry and make another batch to keep you from over thinking.

I agree that your fine. I've done a Kolsch with a cooler fermentation and it turned out great. I would focus on the directions of the kit over the directions of the yeast packet.

... to kapbrew13: great advise, I believe I'm going to take that advise myself. hahaha

blotto said:
i agree that your fine. I've done a kolsch with a cooler fermentation and it turned out great. I would focus on the directions of the kit over the directions of the yeast packet.

... To kapbrew13: Great advise, i believe i'm going to take that advise myself. Hahaha

: )

Back