What Juniper Species?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven_b

Reaction score
Doing a little landscaping and want to plant plants that I can eventually use in beer. One of the ingredients I want to use in some winter ales this fall is juniper, both berries and tips.

Looking around the local nurseries, I noticed that there are a few different species of Juniper. Anyone know which species is used for brewing beer?

Any other recommendations as to what plants to grow for beer use besides hops (already growing). Thanks in advance.

Where do you live? You could grow barley for malting (difficult) or roasting (easy) and oats for oatmeal stout. I live in Missouri, and since Eastern Redcedar (a juniper species) are native here that's what I'm growing.

Where do you live? You could grow barley for malting (difficult) or roasting (easy) and oats for oatmeal stout. I live in Missouri, and since Eastern Redcedar (a juniper species) are native here that's what I'm growing.

I live in Seattle, in a townhouse so my gardening space is limited.

Back