GF Beer Carbonation/Conditioning and Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbskier

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the boards but have been reading posts for quite a while. I'm fairly new to GF brewing but I have a few attempts at GF brew under my belt.

I am wondering how long it takes for your GF brews to carbonate and how long do you condition them until they are ready to drink. I have found that my GF brews are taking at least 1 month often times closer to 2 months before they are carbonated and ready to drink. I am only made pale ales at this point. I think it may also be the fact that I am bottle carbing at 63-65 degrees. I know 70+ is optimal but how much will the cooler temps slow down carbonation/conditioning of the beer? I just don't have a great place during winter to store my beer at 70+ degrees.

Is it typical for a GF beer to take 1-2 months to be carbed and be ready to drink flavor wise?

Also, some of my bottles seem to have inconsistant carbonation even after a few months. I usually prime in the bottling bucket and give a gentle stir to make sure everything is mixed in good. Maybe its just the cooler temps that are giving me problems.

Thanks for any tips/advice you guys may have

I can't speak for others but for me.

I carb at 2 teaspoons per 750ml bottle and 1 teaspoon per 330ml bottle and that's with cane sugar.

US-05 carbs around four to six weeks in winter. About two to four weeks during summer.

WB-06 is about two weeks all year round

Been a while since I've used S-33 but I'm pretty sure it's halfway in between.

Carbonation time really depends on a variety of factors:

The kind of yeast you are working with, how much of it is suspended in the beer that goes into the bottle, the temperature that it sits at while carbonating, and of course what is there to consume for sugar.

Looking over my own records, I can see that beers that age longer before bottling tend to take longer to carbonate, when I'm using the same yeast, because more of the yeast is settling out during that aging period.

Cooler temperatures make a HUGE difference. I had one beer that still wasn't fully carbonated after over 2 months (actually almost 3) in my basement, where the temperature was in the low to mid 60s. I figured I must have screwed up the amount of my priming sugar or something, but then I put them in a room with an electric heater and set it at 75, left it there for 2 weeks, and I haven't had an un-carbonated bottle of it since.

Last, when you are bottling, you are putting the priming sugar mix into the bucket before siphoning in the beer, right?

Back