Reddish Amber Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
nada
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Creamy, spicy and malty that goes down with ease after three weeks
Grain Bill:

66.7% 8lbs Maris Otter 39.5 4.0
16.7% 2lbs Crystal 40 8.8 16
8.3% 1lb Red Wheat 3.9 .7
8.3% 1lb Flake Rye 5.1 .3

1 oz Willamette Hops 4.6%AA 18.5 IBU ( 60 min Boil)
.5oz Irish Moss (30min)

60 min mash @ 157, 90 minute boil and chilled in about 30 minutes to 80* where as I racked into my fermenter from the pot I tossed the yeast in to get mixed up.

Fermented at a pretty constant 70-73 degrees.

Really nice flavors and I am really enjoying this now and see lot's of potential. In hindsight, I might add two pounds of rye to really bring that flavor out more.

This recipe was one of those "throw it together from what I think tastes good" kind of things. I actually looked at your recipe niquejim while researching what I was going to make. My base was to make something with Rye. However, now that I know that this is so delicious and that the flaked rye adds so much creaminess, I am going to try a couple of pounds. The hop flavor is just bitter enough to be there, but not overwhelm.

Isn't Willamette American...?

When I tasted the malted rye at the brewstore, I found it not to have as much flavor as I wanted. Though in the future I will look into making one of these using the malted Rye. Maybe toss in some oats or something to maintain that creaminess or split the Rye 1/2 flaked, 1/2 malted. Either way, two pounds rye.

reddishamberrye.jpg

So I have wine glasses more at hand...it holds liquid except for that nasty hole in the top.

This is the color that I got out of this recipe and have it kegged. The rye flavor is coming out (to me) just before I get the bitter of the hops after I swallow. I enjoy this guy.

Latest posts

Back