Advice needed on Gas line setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarJohnson

Reaction score
I am completing my gravity fed 3 tier stand (made of wood-please don't burn baby!) and I am hard plumbing the burners soon. I am not a novice with plumbing but am getting confused with the gas portion. All three tiers will have a burner so I planned to run 1/2 hard line to all burners. I have a 10 psi regulator from a turkey burner I canibalized that I plan to hook in at the bottom. My question is-to control the gas to each burner individually will a standard ball gas shut off valve going to each burner do it while the regulator is turned to full pressure or do I need needle valves? Sorry if this is academic for some. By the way it is Propane fired.

You can get coarse regulation with a ball valve. To be honest, though, there's not that many time I need burners at drastically different settings. I usually just open the ball valve to the burner I want on and control the flame with the regulator.

Are you using the pipe threaded jets from morebeer?

I had thought of using the threaded jets although the burners I ordered are the 55,000 btu cast iron set up to run with the same regulator I have (bayou) and include the orfice. I planned on adapting from there as needed? I run my system as a 5 gallon only so the burners should put out enough.

The ball valves will work, but if your looking for easy tweaking, you may want to get the needle valves. I run the same burners with 1/2" pipe feeding them. I adjust with a 1/2" ball. It can be done, but it's a pain to get just right.

I had thought of using the threaded jets although the burners I ordered are the 55,000 btu cast iron set up to run with the same regulator I have (bayou) and include the orfice. I planned on adapting from there as needed? I run my system as a 5 gallon only so the burners should put out enough.

You'll want the threaded jets, trust me. It's not about more/less BTUs. The problem with the orifice that comes with the burners is that they're made for flared fittings that come on the gas hose. If you're using flex hoses to each burner, the jets w/ flared fittings are fine, but it sounds like you'd like to run hard plumbing all the way. I built both of these. Either way is fine, but I like the hard plumbing better.

I also use hard plumbing on my single-tier. This is what the plumbing to the burner looks like - very clean.

LS & Koldk,

Thanks for the advice, and the pics always help! Rather get it right the first time. I will have to post a pic when complete because this stand should be unique. Wood design and made to be completely compact and hung on wall like a ladder. Stand is removable from the base, gas and water lines running up the center with the three shelves removable or folding in to conserve space. Only a two car garage but unfortuantely two small kids that have way more stuff then I am allowed brew stuff!

I am completing my gravity fed 3 tier stand .... and I am hard...

I've just gone all grain, and I am pretty excited about that, i imagine I'd be even more excited when i get my first brew rig built up...

Back