Party Pig...carbonation low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJMIKEUS

Reaction score
Hi Moved my brew into a party keg 3 weeks and a day ago...using 1/3 the amt of priming sugar as instructed...

I had the keg in fridge overnight.......Tasted and carbonation seems low.....

If I take the keg back out the fridge and let it age some more...will there be any ill effects...and will this even work to carbonate the beer more....

Thanks again for everyones help!!!!

Mike H

Check this threa out: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7638

What was the temp when you had the piggy conditioning?

You're from my neck of the woods. I was born in Camden. Lived in Woodlyn and Oaklyn, went to Collingswood HS, have relatives in Cherry Hill, Haddenfield, Pennsauken, etc., live in AC for a couple of years before joining the Army.

Welcome!

the temp was between now lower than 64 and was as high as 77

Thanks!!

Im wondering if i can take it back out the fridge and the yeast will keep cookin....

Hard to say. It should be HIGHLY carbonated if you had it at 77F. But then again it depends on the length of time you had it at that temp.

You can't hurt anything by taking it out of the fridge and letting it warm up for another week.

As for your recipe, did you say you primed at 1/3?

Question: 1/3 of what?

Question: Do you mean a party pig or the 5 liter keg?

With the 5 liter kegs the recommended priming sugar is 1 tablespoon. I have used 2 as well as 3 occasionally if I want it highly carbonated.

A "normal" batch would be 4-5 oz of corn sugar. A 3rd of that is well over an oz. I would say you either had a leak (any evidence of a leak?), or the sugar did not dissolve.

SJMIKEUS said:
1/3 the amt of dextrose that would have been used for bottling...

The instructions included with my party pig said to add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of corn sugar. The first time I used it, I tried 1/3cup and it came out way too carbonated and I lost most the batch to foam. The next time I used 1/4cup and it come out just about right, if not a little too carbonated. Just my 2 cents.

So how much dextrose did you put in (cups, oz, etc)?

Im gonna take it out give it another week...hopefully the yeast will activate again....

Note: When the beer was warm I got a glass of beer mostly foam.....when I drew a glass from refrigerator after 24 hours in cold....i got like an 1/8 in foam head....and that really had to collect afeter the beer was poured....

The portion of beer that i bottled was perfectly carbonated...

Thanks again!

It's usually recommended to use 1 1/4 glass of DME to prime 5 gallons batch to put it in bottles. Does it mean keg carbonation requires less priming material? Significantly less. Is it right? I've been waiting for my first pig to arrive, good you've started this discussion.

Thanks!

Back