OverAcidulated Pils! Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNovo

Reaction score
About to brew a Czech Pilsner and found an error on the grain bill... I intended 4 oz. of acidulated malt and got 12 oz. It's already ground together (of course) as follows:

12# German 2-row pils
0.75# Light Munich
0.75# Acidulated Malt
0.25# Melanoidin Malt

This is for a 6g. batch. Anyone have any suggestions to improve this? Not eager for a sour pilsner... I was hoping to brew tomorrow, so please get back to me asap!

eek, know anyone with some big equipment to do an 18 gallon batch? I'd say it's time to get 24# of pilsner and make a new friend.

Add some lemon zest at knockout and call it a lemon pilsner. It'll be great come the spring*. Do a regular one next time, and double check your grain bill :)

Think I'll add sufficient malt to crank up the batch size to 8g. and call it good. I'll report back on how it all turns out.:mug:

Not sure of the ph of my water, but it's all well water, and I thought it better to err on the acid side; I'll add some distilled to it to keep the mineral content low). I got enough additional malt to make a 9g batch (it'll take some trickery) and so reduce the ratio of acidulated malt to 3.7% (same as the munich and vienna malts, with 5% carapils. I'm shooting for a 1.056 SG. and a fg of 1.016, using Sterling for bittering and Czech Saas for flavor, aroma and dry-hopping. High hopes!

Back