Oktoberfest FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Bear

Reaction score
I've been lagering for 3 weeks now, checked my FG, and its at 1.018 when the recipe says it should be 1.016. Is 1.018 acceptable or is there a way to lower it even more??

(a) 1.018 is fine. Could be within the margin of error on your hydrometer if you've never calibrated it. You could lower it but it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

(b) "Lagering" is cold storage--so your gravity won't move much (usually not at all) once you are lagering.

Thanks for your quick response, i know it was cold storage essentially, but i didn't know if there was something I could do. This is my first lager and its been a shaky process to say the least, so i'm just nervous. That makes me feel better and will now start bottling!

Being off by SG 0.002 on your terminal gravity is nothing to be concerned about at all. Your beer will be just fine :D

Back