Hops and Yeast in Milk Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I am making the below Milk Chocolate Stout next weekend but haven't decided on the hops. I am looking for around 30-35 IBU. My options are Magnum, Columbus, Galena, Willamette and EKG. Only a 60 min. addition.

I also would like some thoughts on the yeast strain. Either White Labs WLP 004 Irish Stout (was great in my Oatmeal Stout) or Safale US-05.

Kettle Volume: 6.75 gal (S.G.: 1.039)
Boil Duration: 1.0 hr
Evaporation: 1.25 gal
Water Volume Added: -0.0 gal
Final Volume: 5.28 gal (S.G.: 1.050)
Efficiency: 72.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap/Hour: 1.25 gal
Ingredients:
8 lb American 2-row
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.25 lb Crystal 120
.25 lb German Carafa III
1.0 lb Lactose
6.0 oz Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min

I made something similar to this. I split it into 2 batches, one with S04 and US05. I like S04 much better than US05. I bitterd with chinook and flavored with fuggles. The S04 was creamier tasting than 05. Based on what you have I'd bitter with a half oz of magnum and flavor with 1ozof Willamet (seedless fuggles) or EKG at 10min

i saw a person on hbt was drinking a chocolate milk stout.. i contacted him about it and he told me it was the Left Hand Milk Stout that he tweaked to suit him. the yeast used in that recipe was Safale S-05. just thought i would share...i am interested in brewing this sometime. my fiancee and i mostly make wine, but we are thinking about adding some beer...we can entertain cheaper that way! Also it used .35 oz Magnum and 1 oz EKG

If you want a thicker, fuller-bodied beer, I'd go with the less attenuating yeast, which i assume is the Irish Stout yeast. When brewing cream stouts, I sometimes use Windsor if I'm using dry yeast or Edinburgh if I'm using liquid. I would think a California or US-05 would dry it out a little, too much attenuation.

Latest posts

Back