What's the problem with my belgian wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javiceras

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed a Belgian wheat beer, and had it in the fermenter for more than three weeks. Carbonated with cane sugar, 6 g per litre. After two weeks in bottle, I tasted the first one, and it has a sweet taste, like the sugar has not been converted to alcohol and CO2. Here is my recipe:
3.3 lb wheat malt extract (liquid)
1 lb wheat malt extract (dry)
4 lb Belgian pilsen malt
1 lb wheat flakes
1.5 oz orange peel
1.5 oz Halls Hersbrucker
Fermentis belgian wheat dry yeast
It’s a partial mash, mashing at 148ºF for 60 minutes.
The problem is I don´t like this sweet taste, and I don´t know where does it come from! My thought is the fermentation was too long (25 days) and the sugar didn´t convert to alcohol and CO2. Could it be so? Any way to overcome this?

Thank you all!!

not sure what's making it sweet other than residual sugar and a large amount of orange peel. The 25 day fermentation isn't that long and it also if anything would have helped convert the sugars

Did you measure FG before bottling? Also maybe give the beer another week or two to make sure all the bottling sugar is consumed. Cane sugar can take a little bit longer than corn sugar to be consumed if I remember right because the yeast have to go through an extra step to convert it.

Final gravity value was around the typical values i usually get with the recipe, so I don´t think it as the source of the extra sweetness, and the orange peel is bitter curacao...
I´ll give it another week and let´s see how it taste!
Thank you!

Back