Good gettin-drunk ale for summer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
I dont make lagers due to not having equipment to keep lager fermenting temps. just looking for opinions on good drinking ales for the summer, cream ales maybe?

American Wheat, Belgian Blond, Belgian Wit, Hefeweizen, etc are all great summer beers.

Maybe a Blonde Ale? A Blonde Ale is like a Kolsch right with maybe some other malts tossed in that you would not traditionally in a Kolsch?

Blonde ales and wheat beers are great summer time (or anytime) session beers

I like a stout, but I'm not right in the head :)
Brew what you like. Drink it year round.

A Kolsch is great in my opinion. I've got that fermenting as I write and have a Cream ale and Belgian Wit on deck.

Kolsch is the definition of a Summer beer. I just tried the first bottle from a batch with Sorachi Ace and Saaz hops last night. It's got a tasty, bitter, lemon- dill finish. I'm gonna do a ten gallon batch around the end of March, time to cold crash it for a full month and be drinking it by June.

I like a good hoppy pale ale in the summer time. In the last couple summers I've brewed what I call my Citra Double Pale. It has an intense tropical hop flavor with no bitterness and is dangerously drinkable despite being around 7% ABV. Lemme know if you're interested in the recipe :mug:

I prefer a Kolsch or a pale ale when it's hot. I have Kolsch,Pale Ale, and American Wheat on tap year around. My friends usually drain my Kolsch keg in two to three weekends.

I like a good hoppy pale ale in the summer time. In the last couple summers I've brewed what I call my Citra Double Pale. It has an intense tropical hop flavor with no bitterness and is dangerously drinkable despite being around 7% ABV. Lemme know if you're interested in the recipe :mug:

Definitely interested in that recipe! I'm drinking a citra pale ale right now and it is goooooood.

Oh, and I think that a cream ale, blond ale or a kolsch would make a great summer beer.

Kolsch and American Wheat are my go to beers when it's hot out. Of course, when it's really hot, like 110 degree Texas summers, nothing hits the spot like some cheap Mexican beer. Tecate FTW.

And I agree with whoever said ladies love the Belgian Wit. Every few batches, I have to make a batch for the wife.

Cream ales are great for this and pretty hard to screw up. Cream of three crops cream ale is an excellent beer for summer. Search for it on here. Easy and cheap to make and very drinkable.

Back