Birth-Year Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinifan

Reaction score
The thread on 15 year old beer got me thinking of a neat project for my newborn son. My father and I recently shared a bottle of wine from my birth year which was a really neat experience. Frankly the wine was just fine, but the experience was incredible. Its funny how much smarter and cooler your old man gets when you have your own kids. Anyway, I was thinking it would be fun to brew something in his birth year and drink it when he's old enough.

Anyone done this? Any ideas for something I could brew now and shove into the back of the crawlspace?

I doubt you'll be able to make a beer that would still taste okay in 21 years. It would have to be pretty high in alcohol to have a shelf life that long.

A wine, on the other hand, would be perfect.

I would probably go with a huge Imperial Stout. Tons of hops and alcohol to try and preserve the thing. Then the bitterness will dissipate and I think a sweet Imperial Stout sounds better than a sweet Barley wine.

I would have liked to brewed my own for this purpose, but I have the next best thing: a bottle of DFH Worldwide Stout from each of my kids' birthyears...plan on keeping those until their 21st's

I merely hope to be able to re-brew the golden strong ale that I brewed for my son when he gets older. As for now the two I saved will be for his first birthday.

My wife's pregnant and I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Haven't decided what to do yet, but I think I'd do a really strong version of either an RIS or some sort of Belgian Dark Strong Ale. She's not due until late February or early March, so I have plenty of time to decide. Think it's a great idea. RIS might be the best idea as it's likely to keep the longest. Anti oxidants in the dark grain and all that.

a friend the other night got some champagne for his 26 b-day. said it taste like asss. the next day i saw it was bottled in '88. should have tried it in the name of science.

Back