Making sure Im doing this right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbone728

Reaction score
Hey Guys, this is my first brew! I'm brewing an American Amber Ale...I fermented in my primary for one week then racked to a secondary where its been for the past 2 days. Is it normal not to have bubbles in my airlock? Also, not sure if I'm using my hydrometer properly. When I used it my hydrometer sinks to the bottom and doesn't give an accurate reading. Is it because I didn't put enough beer in the tube? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Did you hit your FG before you racked to secondary? You should have enough beer in the tube so the hydrometer doesn't bottom out.

No I don't believe i hit my fg before racking. I was simply just going by the directions where it said primary for 1 week then secondary for 2-3 weeks before bottling for the last week...will this ruin the batch?

no, it won't ruin it. do yourself a favor next time, though. primary it for 3 weeks, then call it done (after taking readings to make sure it didn't stall out). this time, let it secondary for 2 weeks, take 2 readings 3 days apart. if they are the same, bottle, wait 2 weeks, pop 1, and try it

Unless you fermenter at some crazy low temp you probably hit your fg or got darn close in that one week. So moving to secondary didnt ruin anything! Ive brewed about 10 batches and only seen airlock activity twice. They all turned out fine :) the hydrometer should have enough wort to float. The wort will probably come pretty close to the top of your container!

Bubbles in airlock shows only that there is gas releasing trough airlock, nothing more.
Use hydrometer to check gravity, and make sure it flows freely in solution.

Back