Amber Ale with Vienna Base Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So...last week i purchased 10 lbs of Vienna malt to make my 1st batch for the SMaSH consistency test, but that got put on hold because of the construction of my fermentation cabinet (new thread with pics to come soon.) The cabinet will be finished and i can use it tomorrow, but i don't want to use the old grains for my consistency test, so i figured i would just use them for another beer.

i came up with an amber ale so i could also get rid of some american hops i've had sitting around for a while. The grains are set, i'm going to buy them now, but let me know what you think of the hops. I have about this quantity to use up:

1 oz Columbus
2 oz Amarillo
0.5 oz Centennial

Here is my initial thought...any suggestions?

Vienna Amber Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B American Ale, American Amber Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 17 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.69
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.22
Anticipated SRM: 13.2
Anticipated IBU: 39.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.31 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
93.6 10.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
4.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
1.2 0.13 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
0.6 0.06 lbs. Carafa Germany 1.030 400

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 12.20 26.8 60 min.
0.75 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.20 9.1 20 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.40 3.8 5 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-05 SafAle American Ale

I don't know man, I have an all Vienna lager that is sticking around for quite along time because I only take a pull now and then. Vienna is great but I'm never going over 50% with it again. It's got a very pointed malt flavor that might be a little weird with American hops. I could be wrong.

well, my Vienna SMaSH used nothing but Northern Brewer and it was the greatest beer in history :D It's going to be one of my staple beers, brewed year round. It'll be my next batch after this.

In any case, i need to use up this grain, so i'm going to give it a shot. I like really malty beers, too. But thanks for the input.

Brewer and manager at my LHBS convinced me to go with 2 ounces of Roast Barley and 1 oz of Carafa for the grains to keep the color without too much roast flavor. Also, i'm going with S-05...nottingham may leave it a little dry and i mash pretty low, plus i should use an american yeast. Recipe edited.

Latest posts

Back