Help choosing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amiaji

Reaction score
I have 2 AG kits and 2 different yeasts. Neither kit tells me which yeast to use so I have no idea which yeast to use with which kit.

I have an American Cream Stout kit and American Cream Ale kit. The two yeasts I have are pitchable vials of White Labs WLP001 and WLP013. Any sugeestions on which yeast to use with what recipe?

Thanks.

WLP001 for the Cream Ale, WLP013 for the Stout. But technically WLP013 is a London Ale yeast, so you won't have an absolute neutral character.

Thanks. I was looking at the descriptions of the yeast and I'm wondering if they gave me the right yeast for the recipes. WLP001 seems right for the cream ale but WLP013 for the stout doesnt. I have some US-05 and US-04 on hand. Should I use one of those instead of the WLP013 in the stout?

WLP013 is the Worthington White Shield strain (Wyeast 1028). It is an excellent general purpose British ale yeast with good attenuation and medium flocculation. It produces a clean, malty flavor that should be just about perfect for your cream stout. I'd ferment it at 68°. You can go lower for a cleaner, less characteristic flavor, but that would be defeating the purpose of having a yeast with some personality. I've used it (the Wyeast version, anyway) for brown ales and a barley wine with great results. I'd stick with it. It's good stuff.

Chad

Update:

I used the WLP013 and it is fermenting away right now. I have never seen so much airlock activity. I am keeping a close eye on it, I might have to hook up a blow-of tube if it keeps this up.

Back