Rye Pale Ale Brewer's best kit with honey addition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilliamson

Reaction score
The other day I made a Rye Pale Ale using a brewer's best kit. Here's a link to the recipe. The kit says the OG should have been 1.050 - 1.055 with an FG of 1.012 - 1.015.
When I checked my OG once it was cool and it was only 1.035@65°. (I made very sure I really stirred in the extra water before I took the reading). So to get the OG back up I decided to add some honey. I heated it to about 165-170° or so then mixed in some water then threw it in the primary. My OG is now at 1.065@65°. Less than 24 hours and there is a very vigorous fermentation going on in there; already popped the top off the air lock once from a krausen blockage.

My questions are:
What can I expect this to taste like?
Will it add any honey flavor or just alcohol?
Will the fermentation take any longer than normal? (I've read that honey can take weeks to completely ferment)
What can I expect my FG to be now?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Honey is highly fermentable, and it will dry out the beer more than an all malt recipe. How much honey did you add? Typically when honey is added to the primary prior to fermentation the yeast will gobble it up, and leave you with very little honey flavor, if it is noticeable at all.

So, you'll definitely have beer, but if you bump the Og from 1.035ish up to 1.065 then I would expect a dry, light bodied beer.

I racked it to a carboy tonight and it was at 1.023 @ 73°. Its also very orange/yellow looking. Not at all clear yet.

Latest posts

Back