Plates to Slants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm into my first couple of attempts at making a yeast library with slants. I've got 5 gorgeous slants of wlp036 with good growth after only 2 days, I innoculated them directly from a vial of yeast. I also made a couple of agar plates to harvest from bottles and a beer i currently have in primary.

So my question is this, i've got a pale ale that used a strain of yeast that austin home brew has the rights to, wlp299. Basically it was sold as a fruiter 001. It smells awesome, but that could be the citra/columbus dry hop. Anyway, to get the yeast from this i plated a sample directly from primary and i've gotten great colonies growing on my agar plate. I was wondering how many colonies i should put on each slant now to hold onto. I was thinking that one colony per slant would ensure a pure sample, that came from one single cell, but I also was not sure if only putting one colony on a slant would grow out to give me enough cells to eventually step up to a starter.

I don't want to spend 10 days building a starter up from a couple million cells, so should i harvest a couple of colonies from my plate per slant? or will one colony grow out and fill the slant?

thanks, and boy, does this aspect of homebrewing fuel my inner geek, this stuff is a blast.

one colony smeared will cover the slant. One colony is (if done correctly) made up of one type of cell which are all "pure"....If propigating from slants, your best bet is to take the time- although not desirable to wait- in order to get the best results.

Latest posts

Back