No activity in my fermenter.....any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesie9

Reaction score
I did my first all-grain brew on Thursday. Fermentation was recommended at 70. I put my carboy in the basement and went out of town for the weekend. When I returned on Sunday I noticed the temp at 62. I have since moved the carboy upstairs where the temp has been raised and is holding around 70, but I have not had any active fermentation since I have been home. Should I be concerned?

I did a yeast starter also. Do I need to add more yeast?

I'll bet all the fermentation activity went on while your away. When I pitch with a starter, I get activity in about 6 hours, with peak at about 18. By the third day it's looking pretty boring. If you're sweating it, take a gravity reading.

BTW, what was your OG? And what kind of yeast did you use?

I did my first all-grain brew on Thursday. Fermentation was recommended at 70. I put my carboy in the basement and went out of town for the weekend. When I returned on Sunday I noticed the temp at 62. I have since moved the carboy upstairs where the temp has been raised and is holding around 70, but I have not had any active fermentation since I have been home. Should I be concerned?

I did a yeast starter also. Do I need to add more yeast?

For most yeast strains 62f is no problem.

How do you know there is no fermentation? Is the beer in a bucket or carboy?

Are there any visable signs of fermentation(krausen ring around the top of the fermentor)?

Hydrometer reading?

Take a gravity reading and compare against the OG reading.

I second needing the OG, current SG, what yeast you used and such. Otherwise, we're shooting blind...

I'll bet all the fermentation activity went on while your away. When I pitch with a starter, I get activity in about 6 hours, with peak at about 18. By the third day it's looking pretty boring. If you're sweating it, take a gravity reading.

BTW, what was your OG? And what kind of yeast did you use?

I didn't take an OG. I used a Belgian Wit WLP400.

For most yeast strains 62f is no problem.

How do you know there is no fermentation? Is the beer in a bucket or carboy?

Are there any visable signs of fermentation(krausen ring around the top of the fermentor)?

Hydrometer reading?

My very first batch of any type of brewing. I have it in a carboy. Just doesn't seem like any. There is a slight krausen ring around the top. I thought it might have started and then possible stopped because of the lower temp it was at. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading.

My very first batch of any type of brewing. I have it in a carboy. Just doesn't seem like any. There is a slight krausen ring around the top. I thought it might have started and then possible stopped because of the lower temp it was at. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading.

If you are unsure, take a reading. Can't hurt.

Typically, wlp400 is fairly vigorous.

I will take a reading tomorrow and see where I am. What is the best way to get a sample out of the carboy to do that?

If I tilt the carboy and use a baster is there an issue if the krausen ring is disturbed?

Thank you for all of your input.

I will take a reading tomorrow and see where I am. What is the best way to get a sample out of the carboy to do that?

If I tilt the carboy and use a baster is there an issue if the krausen ring is disturbed?

Thank you for all of your input.

Really, if you definitely have a krausen ring, it's going or done.

Carefully tip the carboy if the baster will not reach. If you knock some of the krausen into the beer, it shouldn't be a big deal. A wine theif would work better if available. If not, a baster will work. Remember to sanitize everything and try not to splash the liquid around to avoid oxidation.

Really, if you definitely have a krausen ring, it's going or done.

Carefully tip the carboy if the baster will not reach. If you knock some of the krausen into the beer, it shouldn't be a big deal. A wine theif would work better if available. If not, a baster will work. Remember to sanitize everything and try not to splash the liquid around to avoid oxidation.

Excellent. Thank you for the tips.

Back