Great Way to Tag Your Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
So I had a BIG brewday yesterday. Of these I made 4 different pear wine recipes (I have a pear tree in the back yard, and it overflowth) and I was looking for a good way to mark the carboys so I could tell them apart.

I've used dry erase markers before, but I have a bad habit of wiping it off moving the carboys. Then I came up with the little window cling stickers that they use when you get your oil changed. You can get these for free from any auto parts store or even wal mart in the car section. The writing doesn't smudge off, and you can move them from carboy to carboy when you rack.

I've not tried it on plastic, but I bet it will work. Worse case scenario get the back of it moist, or try milk like some people put labels on with.

I don't really use my carboy anymore but this is a pretty good idea.

What does acetone do to a better bottle/PET? For a glass carboy I simply write on it with a sharpie and when I want it gone a dab of acetone(nail polish remover) takes it right off.

I use the manila shipping tags (with the strings) for labeling my kegs.

For my carboys, well they're in milk crates so all my brewing notes for that carboy just sit in the crate.

When I get around to typing them up I print them out and put them in a document protector and in a binder by batch number.

What, you don't have a copy of EVERY brew you've ever brewed? :D

What, you don't have a copy of EVERY brew you've ever brewed? :D

Congratulations, you win today's Obsessive Compulsive Award! Your commemorative three ring binder (to keep your notes in) is on its way!

Seriously, that is a great thing to do. I just keep things in BrewSmith now, but a paper copy would probably be a good idea.

As an added bonus, a Valvoline sticker would look great on a nice fermenting batch of stout. :D

the problem with masking tape is it comes off when I wash or spill so I try to put a new tape at the same level everytime I finish washing that way I never have to remeasyure

Back