When was my vial of white labs yeast made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
Hey guys I find myself wondering as I am about to make my yeast starter this morning of WLP090 San Diego super yeast for a Citra and Cascade ale recipe im going to give a try. I see on the pkg that it is best before March 14 2013 which is good, but when was it packaged?

On the Wyeast packages they usually put the date when that particular batch of yeast was packaged which in Beersmith when you input that date, gives you a pretty good idea of the viability of your yeast.

So my question is if my White labs is good until march 14th then is there a rule of thumb i should know to have an approximate idea of when my yeast was packaged? 2 months? 3? etc.

Thanks in advance

Dave

My White Labs yeast said that it was good for 4 months from date of bottling, and then listed an expiration date, so I assumed the bottling date was 4 months before then. See if yours says the same.

According to the whitelabs website, they say their yeast is good for 4 months. I would say it safe to assume it was harvested Nov. - Dec. I didn't see anything that provides an exact date but that should give you some ballpark idea.

Back