Show us your favorite kitchen knives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I used to have a nice starter Henckels set of knives but found that i didnt use them all and learned that i dont like a traditional Chef's knife. So ive been collecting a few that i really enjoy using and are functional. I like to see what others like to use.

Here are my faves:
Top down 10" pseudo butcher knife (thrift store find), Henckels 8" santoku, Global 7" Oriental Chef's knife, Shun 3-1/2" paring knife.

image-953941994.jpg

Close-up of the damascus style steel of the Shun.

image-246370643.jpg

I keep them sharp with water stones. I was cleaning the little one today and shaved my thumbprint off. Didn't bleed at all!

image-3575054171.jpg

The only knife I use is a Shun Classic Santoku. We have a Shun paring knife too, but my wife won't let me use it. I'm not nice enough to it.

I'm surprised she takes exception to the paring knife and not the more expensive santoku. They are awesome knives that's for sure! My wife can use them as long as she uses the butchers block or cutting board; but she can't clean them!

I have a Mac santuko which i absolutely love. The rest of mine are all Forshner. As a professional chef, i have found they are hands down the best for the money.

I almost never use the paring knife for what it's designed for, which I think she takes exception to. She used to be a sous chef. When she was working I never got to touch her knives, but now that she doesn't work in a kitchen I can use some of them. They are super nice.

Zuljin said:
We have a few Henckels. Not too shabby.

Hey, what's a good cleaver?

Do you have any Japanese import stores near you? If you can find a good Jap cleaver made from thick carbon steel you will love it, and it will last forever.

bottlebomber said:
My latest acquisition

Ooh that looks like a Shun Utility knife. I think that's my next purchase. What do you think of it? How in the world do you sharpen it?

pickles said:
Ooh that looks like a Shun Utility knife. I think that's my next purchase. What do you think of it? How in the world do you sharpen it?

It's great. Sharper than heck. You could skim a tomato with this thing. Use it every day. One side of the blade is beveled, the other side is scalloped so it's really simple to sharpen for a serrated blade as well.

we have a crappy set for most things, but I have a decent henkels santoku that I use all the time. I don't know how we lived without it! We also have a middle range cleaver (we buy meat in bulk) that sees a lot if use.

Back