Brew Canada?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBEER

Reaction score
Does anyone have an experience with the Brew Canada kits? I was considering trying their red ale kit and using some amber LME instead of the dextrose they call for.

I have been using Cooper's kits but have seen these sitting there and was wondering if they were any good.

Haven't run across the product, but from a recipe standpoint, you've got a good idea. Amber LME will re-enforce a red's profile.

I have made Brew Canada Red, Blonde, and Draught. The Red is modeled after Richards Red, and it is pretty close. Unlike Coopers kits, which are perfectly smooth, Brew Canada kits contain visible hops residue. This *may* gum up your dispenser. I have not had a problem with that, but I know my mother-in-law (who is a home brewer) prefers Coopers kits for this reason. I am not sure why the residue is there, perhaps from a late [flavor] addition. I find the Blonde needs 2 months of bottle aging to mellow out some strong citrus flavors, but then it is quite nice. The Draught is much milder and can be drunk sooner. Coopers yeasts are used in the kits. The year of manufacture/best before date is coded on the can in a weird way, and is inscrutable. I go by the Julian date on the Coopers yeast, which is close to the date of manufacture, to figure out if the age of the kit (Julian date on Coopers yeast: first three numbers represent the day of the year, the last two are the last two digits of the year, ie., 13311 is 133rd day of 2011). Kits are best if made within one year from the date of manufacture, although many of the kits in my local home brew shop are already between 12-24 months.

Latest posts

Back