How full to fill a corney?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guntr

Reaction score
OK, this may be the dumbest question of all time but at what level should I fill a corney keg to? There should definitely be some head space, but how much?

I thought of this because I realized my batches are 23L, but the corney kegs are only 19L. Obviously there will be a bit lost in racking and I had planned to bottle a couple anyway, but in case I get lazy this would be good to know.

Thanks,

Exactly! You want to below the short diptube. Up to the top of the stainless area, to where the rubber starts is 5 gallons. You can go a bit higher, but don't cover the bottom of that diptube.

I fill mine to the weld line near the top of the keg, which is near the bottom of the gas in tube and also just about where the rubber starts like Yooper said, and I've never had any problems carbing. As long as you don't have to dip the lid in liquid in order to put it on you should be OK.

Ditto with the above statements. Just low enough so I can put the lid in and the dip tube has some clearance with the liquid.

i wouldnt worry about the liquid touching the gas in tube. as long as you can put the lid on it all good. gas will still go into the keg even if the liquid is higher than the end of tube.

i wouldnt worry about the liquid touching the gas in tube. as long as you can put the lid on it all good. gas will still go into the keg even if the liquid is higher than the end of tube.

it'll be ok as long as there's equal pressure applied; but if your gas line is tee'd to a keg with lower pressure (without check valves), it'll suck that liquid up in the gas line and transfer it to the other keg

Keep it below the gas tube, so there is enough surface area for CO2 absorption. I put any extra in 2L plastic bottles and use my Carbonator cap.

Back