eBIAB mash technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your mash technique and why?

• Insulated Kettle, no re-circulation or heat

• Constant recirculation, heat as required

• No recirculation, heat as required

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wrap my kettle in the shiny backed insulation stuff for hot water tanks, doesn't do a lot but does help some.

If I have more than a couple gallons of headspace in the kettle it winds up losing a couple degrees in 30 minutes, so I open up and stir and heat it up a bit. I sort of like doing this because I get to stir more often and it requires no extra hardware.

Thanks for the feedback. I may try low element power and pump recirculation on the first batch. From what I have read I don't think this will burn the bag or scorch the mash.

I've used a Low Watt Density, and now use an Ultra Low Watt Density element. Neither scorch my bags, full blast with grain holding the bag against the elements. In fact I've touched my LWD element once, with my finger, and could hold it for half a second or so. Not bad!

I use voile fabric that I get from the fabric store, and have also used sheer curtains, just a big single panel sheer. The fabric store voile works better, nicer weave and better sized.

Did my first eBIAB batch and scorching was on a problem. Only issue was the bag/grains blocking the pump flow.
Will a 90 deg elbow inside kettle solve this? I don't use a basket.

Use the silver insulation wrap and then put a couple blankets over the kettle, lose a degree or two over an hour. Also, like to stir it a couple times during the mash.

Back