Greetings from Iowa!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! I'm from Ames, Iowa. Home of Iowa State University and not much else.

I'm just starting out homebrewing. I've actually helped others brew several time, everything from all-grain to extract only, but I just brewed my first solo batch on Monday, after my roomate got be a basic homebrew kit for my birthday. My first beer is a simple pale ale (i named it "Rookie Pail Ale", after my bucket fermenter that came with the kit I got). It's currently on it's 3rd day in primary, looking good. Here's the recipe:

1 lb crystal 40L, crushed w/ rollling pin
steeped between 145 and 170 f for ~40 mins

3 lbs DME
3 lbs Extra Light DME

3 gallon boil

1st hop addition - 60 min
0.38 0z warrior 17.2 aa
0.25 oz. centennial 8.5 aa

2nd hop addition - 30 min
0.25 oz cascade - 7.5 aa

3rd hop addition - 15 min
0.3 oz cascade
0.2 oz centennial

4th hop addition - 5 min
0.5 oz cascade

1 tsp Irish Moss - 10 min

I plan on doing lots of brewing, so I will probably be hanging around this place a lot. See ya around! :mug:

Welcome to the forum. Have you been to any of the Ames Brewers League meetings yet? They meet 7pm, the second Tuesday of the month on the Wallaby's patio. You can also come down to the Iowa Brewers Union meetings at El Bait Shop in Des Moines the 3rd Monday of the month at 7pm. :mug:

Back