Advice on all grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_m

Reaction score
Hi guys. Had a search around Couldn't really find what I was looking for.
I'm new to brewing. Done 5 batches. All from pre made cans.

I'm looking to make everything from scratch for my next.
Really I'm looking for an idiots guide

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

What exactly do you mean everything from scratch? Equipment or the beer from grains, hops and yeast?

If you plan on going all grain you need some equipment.

As it's been said a hundred times before, all-grain is cheaper in the long run but requires a lot more up front equipment cost.

You'll need a mash-tun, of course, and there is a great post here on making one out of a beverage cooler. For your pickup you can use a toilet line screen like in the post, make a manifold like this one , though they are a bit easier to make for rectangular coolers than round beverage ones, or make a false bottom like the one I did here that I've had great success with.

From there you can do batch sparging or fly sparging, though with fly sparging you'll need a hot liquor tank (usually just another cooler), valve and something to distribute the water evenly across the surface like a sparge arm or colander.

You'll also need to get at least an 8-10 gallon stock pot/boil kettle to collect wort. I use a 10 gallon food-safe aluminum one I got from Amazon that I've had no issues with. Also a high BTU propane cooker (Like this one) if you've been using a stove since home stoves usually don't get hot enough to boil 7+ gallons of wort.

But most importantly you'll need a lot of information and Palmer's All Grain Brewing section of How to Brew is the best place to start.

I'd start off with a simple recipe like an Amber Ale or something just to get used to the process. All Grain introduces a ton of new variables and processes, so adopting the KISS philosophy will benefit you greatly while starting out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys thanks for a nudge in the right directions. Seems like there is plenty to get me going

search for "How to BIAB". Brewing with all grain using a grain bag and doing it right in your brew pot is the easiest way to get into all grain and it makes perfect sense since you can probably do it with the equipment you already have plus a $5 grain bag.

Why not just use a hose braid? They are cheap, easy to install and are highly recommended.

Why not just use a hose braid? They are cheap, easy to install and are highly recommended.

I went with the article I found here
and
Specifically Figures A and C Here

I have a friend who uses a braided toilet supply line and she has stuck sparges, efficiency issues and problems with the line getting crushed by the weight of the grain all of the time. I'll agree that many people use the braided line method with great success, but between the article and my friend's issues I decided to put a little extra work into just using a false bottom (and for $5-$15 depending on the size and materials used, it's comparable in price).

I went with the article I found here
and
Specifically Figures A and C Here

I have a friend who uses a braided toilet supply line and she has stuck sparges, efficiency issues and problems with the line getting crushed by the weight of the grain all of the time. I'll agree that many people use the braided line method with great success, but between the article and my friend's issues I decided to put a little extra work into just using a false bottom (and for $5-$15 depending on the size and materials used, it's comparable in price).

I'm just curious too, where did you buy the pvc piping, is all of the food quality?

Cpvc is what I use for my sparge arm. It is made for higher temps (look at your water heater...)

I'm just curious too, where did you buy the pvc piping, is all of the food quality?

I actually just made a false bottom out of a pizza pan that I drilled 1/8" holes in. I figured it was a lot less work than trying to make a round manifold for my beverage coolers (I try to be effective with my laziness ;) ) and a lot cheaper than a pre-made one. It works really well for me and I usually have 80%+ efficiency when mashing.

I figured if false bottoms are what are commonly used in professional breweries it was more than a good enough method for me. Really easy to clean and install too.

There is a lot of great info here, I will probably take a stab at this in a few months. I'm going to try the on the stove with a grain bag all grain method first, and see how that turns out. Maybe i'll make this a spring project :D

There is a lot of great info here, I will probably take a stab at this in a few months. I'm going to try the on the stove with a grain bag all grain method first, and see how that turns out. Maybe i'll make this a spring project :D

If you start with BIAB, you may never get to the spring project. All the advantages of all grain with less cost and less time required too.:mug:

If you start with BIAB, you may never get to the spring project. All the advantages of all grain with less cost and less time required too.:mug:

I just picked up a 30 quart stainless steel pot at our local store for only $42.50 and it has a strainer inside it as well :D

So now I have a 30 quart and 20 quart stainless steel pots, so I will be trying all grain in the next few weeks for sure. Just need to get a bag, plus buy the ingredients.

I just picked up a 30 quart stainless steel pot at our local store for only $42.50 and it has a strainer inside it as well :D

So now I have a 30 quart and 20 quart stainless steel pots, so I will be trying all grain in the next few weeks for sure. Just need to get a bag, plus buy the ingredients.

If you are getting the grains crushed, ask to have them double milled as with BIAB you can get by with a finer crush without plugging up anything and your efficiency will go up with the finer crush.

If you are getting the grains crushed, ask to have them double milled as with BIAB you can get by with a finer crush without plugging up anything and your efficiency will go up with the finer crush.

I found a store about 25 min from my house that is a LHB store that I've never been to. They are closed on Mondays. I'm going to go there tomorrow at lunch and pick up a 24 x 24 bag, and then ask them about crushing them for me. I'm going to find an easy recipe, and then pick up the grains, hops, and yeast, hopefully spend under $25 :D I've spent a little too much lately on beer / wine making :) I need to make one more batch and take a break.

Back