First time Kölsch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So I whipped up a modified 10 gallon batch of EdWort's Oktoberfest, it's his exact recipe but with a smaller grain bill to lower the ABV just a bit.

This is my first time using my new temp controller and my first time using a yeast that really likes cooler temps. I have the fermentation chamber set to 58F which should make the beer 65-ish like EdWort suggested.

So on to my question... Does Kölsch yeast ferment really weird? It's still a top fermenting yeast right? About 24 hours after adding it I had some white fluffy stuff on top of my beer. It was almost perfectly circular, kind of harry. It did NOT look like krausen at all, it actually looked like I had a lacto infection.

Fast forward 3 days... now the fermentation is going pretty good and there's a decent amount of krausen on top and it looks like every other beer I've ever brewed.

I'm not too worried about it. I figured when the time comes I'll taste a bit of it before I move it into the kegs for aging. For peace of mind, I thought I'd ask if this is just normal for this yeast?

It is normal for the yeast. Since you're at a lower temp it probably just took a little bit longer to show the signs of "normal" fermentation.

I've only used the Wy Kolsch yeast (2565) before, but I've noticed that it's a real top cropper and makes an odd krausen at times. Since you're fermenting cool (which is good for this yeast), it's going to work a bit slower, so watching the krausen form could seem odd. It sounds like everything's normal, though. Be prepared for a slower ferment than you're used too, cool fermentations often are, and this yeast can take it's sweet time to finish up.

Wyeast Kolsch makes a crazy fluffy krausen that won't drop on its own. Give it a quick shake after the yeast starts to drop to knock down that meringue-like krausen.

This yeast is a poor flocculator, too. If you used it in an octoberfest you are going to want to gelatin or cold crash or filter or provide a longish lagering time to get it clear. All of the above is ideal. An octoberfest should not taste like yeast.

Wyeast Kolsch makes a crazy fluffy krausen that won't drop on it's own. Give it a quick shake after the yeast starts to drop to knock down that meringue-like krausen.

This yeast is a poor flocculator, too. If you used it in an octoberfest you are going to want to gelatin or cold crash or filter or provide a longish lagering time to get it clear. All of the above is ideal. An octoberfest should not taste like yeast.

Very true. One of the most stubborn to drop krausens I've experienced. And it definitely needs time to clear up and condition before bottling. I learned that the hard way the first time I used it, I thought a long secondary would've been enough and I kegged it. I ended up lagering it in the keg for a month or so before the yeasty flavors and aromas subsided and I had a good beer. Definitely either cold crash and fine, or lager this a bit for best results.

Aye, plan to stick to EdWort's schedule: 65F for first week, then 60F for two weeks, then cold crash.

Thanks, for the shaking idea, I'll be sure to do that before cold crashing/lagering.

I've only brewed with Kolsch yeast once, White Lab's WLP029, which I used for an American Wheat. Sorry, but I didn't notice anything unusual. The krausen may have lingered for a little long, nothing that seemed out of the ordinary. Which Kolsch yeast did you use?

Update: Ya'll weren't kidding about the krausen not dropping on this stuff. I gave each carboy a swirl the other day and it's looking better now. I've been dropping the temps by 5 degrees a week and it's down to 52F now. I need to keg it this Sunday so it's ready for the Halloween party. Should I do a 10 degree temp bump for a few days before cold crashing it?

Update: Ya'll weren't kidding about the krausen not dropping on this stuff. I gave each carboy a swirl the other day and it's looking better now. I've been dropping the temps by 5 degrees a week and it's down to 52F now. I need to keg it this Sunday so it's ready for the Halloween party. Should I do a 10 degree temp bump for a few days before cold crashing it?

Yeah, that $h!t's stubborn yeast for sure. Cool temps and racking it into the keg should help get all that yeast dropping out. Not sure what you mean by a ten degree bump, if you're kegging it Sunday, just keg it up. You can lager it as you carb, it'll definitely be good to go come Halloween time.

Back