10g Corny Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac00

Reaction score
So i managed to nab another 10g corny keg at a yard sale. Its ball lock connections. I put pressure to it and it leaked at the pressure relief valve, but i got that part figured out i think...so i think i got a good deal. However...i dismantled it tonight to clean it up good, and found that it has odd fittings. The liquid side is a 3pc fitting, and gas side is a 2pc. Also, the lid is like the racetrack ones (more longer on the sides, normal corny won't fit). Attached is some pics.....has anyone seen fittings like these? My other 10g has the normal corny connections, so i was just surprised to see these. Don't think they're that common.....gonna pick up some new washers and o-rings for it and put something in it. Just thought i'd post it up in case anyone was interested.

liquid on top
IMG_7810.jpg

shows model number
IMG_7811.jpg

Liquid side
IMG_7815.jpg

Gas side
IMG_7817.jpg

Those parts look identical to the parts on my model 1891 5 gallon cornies. The gaskets are no longer available as far as I can tell. I contacted about 20 different suppliers with no luck. I ended up using sparing amounts of a food grade silicone sealeant in conjunction with what remained of my gaskets. So far so good.

If you find a source for the gaskets please let me know. If you go the silicone sealant route make sure to use food grade. I read about 50 different packages before I found one meeting food service requirements.
Bill

I planned on going through Simgo for the gaskets as they have listings for them. I will let you know for sure when i put the order in, if they in fact, actually have them.

Simgo was the last place I tried. The guy I spoke with in BC even took my name, address, phone number and Credit Card # but I never heard another word from them. My card was never charged.

Please do let me know what Simgo has to say.
Cheers,
Bill

Good advice. I have two 10 gallon kegs coming to me from a guy on the forum. They were the antique A&W kegs. I'm going to use them as fermenters, so holding pressure isn't as critical. But he said the lid gasket isn't standard, so it might be hard to find.

I have seen silicone sheets for cutting custom seals in the plumbing aisle at Lowes. I don't know about the thickness, but thought I might try that if I can't find a gasket at McMaster-Carr.

I'm sure you can. Try checking different materials. Nothing wrong with buna-n, etc.

(fun fact, I bought a silicone gasket to replace the buna-n one on my fermenter's 4" tri-clamp fitting -just for s's and g's- and it was unable to hold more than 20 PSI w/o leaking where the clamp's hinge is. So I put the buna-n back on. I'm not silly over silicone, per se. Some of the other ones I have have taken on a color I am not thrilled about either.)

That was going to be my other question; materials. I puled up the o-ring pages on McMaster.com and it definitely looks like they should have a replacement. Just need to determine the diameter and material.

McMaster-Carr would probably be the best option for all you guys in the US, but they won't ship to Canada....so i'm hoping Simgo still has em, if not, i'll measure and try somewhere else.

Diameters. Internal and external.

You can also use Flouroelastomer, Food grade Viton...

There are lots of options, but Buna-n will prob be the least expensive. This is something I would definitely employ the outstanding support of McMaster on the phone. Also, if you aren't that familiar with the site, it's a good strategy to click on the "Catalog Page" on whatever item you are looking at. It would bring you to the online representation of their print catalog where you can check the adjacent pages for similar items and there are usually good reads re: chemical/temperature compatibility and such at the beginning of each item that you would otherwise want to call someone to figure out. I get a lot of answers that way and it's usually more helpful than continuous searching on their website.

Not all of the gaskets on this are o-ring type. Some are square cut that fit into machined grooves. I probably could have searched them out via McMaster Carr but food grade silicone worked perfectly in my situation.
Bill

Back