Using refractometer for checking fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was curious if you can use a refractometer to check whether fermentation had finished? I understand that alcohol present messes with the readings, but does it mess with them consistently? Can I take three readings, one each day and it will come back with the same Brix reading every time, thus telling me fermentation has stopped or will the alcohol cause it to have different readings.

If this works it seems like a much easier way of testing than using two hydrometer readings.

Thanks

Philber, thanks for the links but I think there might be a misunderstanding. I don't want to use the refractometer for figuring out my final gravity, I want to use it to see if fermentation has stopped.

So instead of sanitizing a turkey baster, hydrometer, and hydrometer stand twice or lose a beer and a half, I can just sanitize a pipet. Much less risk of an infection since beer isn't being put back in, and less beer wasted.

Thanks though for the links

Good idea to save beer. Pulling out a shot glass worth for tasting and checking with refractometer is what I'll do in the future for interim measurements. I'll do one final hydrometer reading at the end of fermentation.

Back