My wee heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
So the plan is to brew this today, hope it turns out well...definitely my strongest beer so far.

Malt
pounds oz
6 0 Light Dry Malt Extract info
3 0 Amber Dry Malt Extract info
0 4 Crystal 60L
0 4 Roasted Barley
0 4 American Crystal 80L
0 2 Peated Malt info
0 2 Black (Patent) Malt info

Hops

(60 min) .25 oz Perle
(60 min) .5 oz Northern Brewer
(30 min) .25 oz Northern Brewer

Yeast - WLP039 (Nottingham)

For this brew, I was thinking of doing more of a 80 or 90 min boil in order to get some more carmalization. I'm also probably going to add the mash to the boil farther along so I dont get a boil over. Hoping to get temperatures in my townhouse in the low 60's, what consequences for this style will I get if its more along the lines of low 70's?

first off you do not want to put the grains into the boil at all. Steep your grains at around 150-155 for 30 minutes. then add your extract to this wort and start your 60 minute boil. Boiling grains (or heating above 170*) will extract off flavors from tannins.

first off you do not want to put the grains into the boil at all. Steep your grains at around 150-155 for 30 minutes. then add your extract to this wort and start your 60 minute boil. Boiling grains (or heating above 170*) will extract off flavors from tannins.

Right, right...guess I should be more specific. I'm adding the mash "wort" or whatever you might call it at that phase to the boil later. I think with the amount of extract going into this one I need to get some boil off to fit everything safely into my 7.5 gallon pot

Temp in the low 60's will result in a cleaner beer.

The Peat Malt is strong stuff and will take a really long time to mellow out.

How in the world did I get an OG of 1.066?! My extract alone should put in in the 1.075 range. I really don't get this sometimes...

Hmmm I seem to have identified the problem. In the past I've had some efficiency issues, but this time I miscalculated my boil-off. Looks like I have more along the lines of 5.5 gallons instead of 5. Doing the math, with that volume I should be at 1.069 (quite close to 1.066) instead of 1.086 at 5 gallons. Last time I was spot on the 5 gallon mark so this is pretty frustrating. Oh well, its a wee Wee heavy and more of it...

Back