Still Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I started a batch of special bitter last Friday. It's in a plastic bucket so the airlock has been my only visual clue to what's going on. By the middle of this week, the airlock was only bubbling about once a minute. Last night I opened the bucket to get some brew out to take a gravity reading (I was planning to leave it for at least another week but wanted to get a sense of what was happening). I was surprised to see that there is still a substantial krauesen layer and lots of crud still in suspension. Obviously, I closed it back up and plan to let it sit for a lot longer. Is it normal for there to be that much krauesen after a week? I thought the primary fermentation would largely be done by now. I planned to leave it in the fermenter for conditioning anyway, but just want to make sure that there is nothing else I should be doing.

Only initial fermentation is done in a few days. That's when all the bubbling slows down or stops. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Let it go for another week,then check it. Kraisens have been known to hanf on for a while. Nothing to worry about.

Sounds fine to me. I usually don't even open my primary until 3 weeks have passed.

Crud floating or in in suspension is normal too.

I think your OK to be honest your just impatiant like most of us...;)

Thanks guys. RICO is absolutely right -- I'm just impatient. Hopefully, it will get easier to be patient once my pipeline is full (I bottled my first batch last night and now have two batches fermenting).

It also depends on the yeast, the OG, the temp, ect.. Give it another week and take a reading.

-Mike

Back