What was your first car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeNbrew

Reaction score
I had an '86 IROC-Z Camaro.

I was 16 and wanted an IROC since they hit the showroom floor. Worked my ass off several summers to save up. I finally found one...mint condition. Garage kept. It was nice. Still being in high school, I ended up canceling the full coverage insurance for liability to save a few bucks. Hell at the rate it drank fuel, it was hard enough affording gas at $1.10 gal!!

3 weeks later I totaled it. $9800 down the drain. Cool car tho.

Bought #2 later...this one just decorates the garage.
482948_10151440106876018_499863399_n.jpg

I had an '86 IROC-Z Camaro.

I was 16 and wanted an IROC since they hit the showroom floor. Worked my ass off several summers to save up. I finally found one...mint condition. Garage kept. It was nice. Still being in high school, I ended up canceling the full coverage insurance for liability to save a few bucks. Hell at the rate it drank fuel, it was hard enough affording gas at $1.10 gal!!

3 weeks later I totaled it. $9800 down the drain. Cool car tho.

1949 Mercury 2 door coupe. Gas then was 0.39 / gal.

Depends what you mean by "mine".

About 1995, my dad got the company car. I drove my dad's old '77 Buick LeSabre (350 V8, 4 barrel carburetor, 12 mpg) exclusively, then a few years later went for a 1990 Chevy Cavalier.

1987 Ford Bronco II

This isn't a picture of mine, just one I found on the net. Mine had rust patterns on the doors, I used to tell people they were from shotgun pellet. Some people actually believed me too.

bronco_II-van_003.jpg

Ouch. Mine was a 1977 Delta 88 Oldsmobile station wagon, pea green.

Wrecked it by running a stop sign (I was 16 and stupid: my dad believed in wrapping us kids in as much sheet metal as he could afford; wise man) and getting T-boned at 45 MPH by a Mercedes.

The wagon was sort of dented; the Mercedes was shortened by three feet. No one was hurt, but because I'd managed to bend the frame a little, the car was totaled.

Driving it was like steering a boat. The thing had five inches of play in the steering wheel before it registered your desire to change direction. I hated that car at the time, but boy do I appreciate it now.

-Rich

A rusty red colored 1984 Chevette. Hatchback. Traveled many miles in that car before finally abandoning it on the side of the road. Wish I had a pic.

88 Honda accord only got it because my older bro couldn't drive a manual transmission . Great car I beat the hell out of it . I since have learned to take care of my vehicles

image-3001955384.jpg

1990 Toyota corolla, I still drive it. I think it's about time to buy/build my 600Hp all wheel drive beast... Or maybe a brew stand.. Idk, ADHD!!!

84 Bronco II. Bought from a friend, had the engine rebuilt, drove the **** out of it through every mud puddle I could find, rolled it dodging a rabbit...I mean deer. Definitely a big ass deer. While driving 30 MPH down a straight country road in Texas. Shattered my wrist and by the time I got out of the hospital I sold the wreck for what I owed the wrecker for storage. Damn being a teenager was fun!

1976 Honda Civic. I think it was the first year of the Civic or at least pretty close to it. I bought it off a friend of mine who dropped a 2 litre accord engine in it. That little beast really hauled a$$ when the clutch wouldnt slip.

1996 Ford Aerostar. If it was a 1995 or earlier, I'd love it more. The transmission on the '96 is garbage relative to earlier Aerostars. Anyway, I love that damn thing, but it's becoming too much of a money pit/liability, so I'll be purchasing my first car in the next month or so.

1978 Ford LTD II

Burgundy with spoke rims, t-tops, 351 Cleveland, and a Starsky and Hutch racing stripe.

We called it the "moving violation" because it was prone to tickets.

LTD II.jpg

The first car that I got to drive on a regular basis was my parent's 1973 Ford Pinto station wagon, green with woody siding. They bought it new in '73 and I got it in '76. The first car that I bought was a 1973 Volkswagen Beetle SEMI-AUTOMATIC. 3 speed, no clutch. You would accelerate through 1st gear, get the RPMs up, let off the gas, shift and do it again. It was a decent idea but I always described it as "Volkswagens experiment that failed" but I fell in love with that car. Over the years I've had my share of 'domestics' but there were always VWs peppered in. Two Super Beetles, two regular beetles, a Safari (Thing) and the car that I bought to teach my daughter to drive in was a beat up '73 Rag Top Beetle. She loved it when we first bought it but could not understand that a 23 year old "beater" would be somewhat temperamental. She named it Herbie The Hate Bug.

My first car was a 1994 Ford Taurus. My dad bought it for me so I never complained. But, I had so many problems with that car that I'll never buy another Ford or Ford product again. Fix Or Repair Daily is no joke!

in '81 I inherited the family's 1969 Buick Special Wagon

drove it for 3 months before I wrecked it on graduation night. slid into a curb and bent the frame

this beast had some giddy-up and go

53218248_pr.jpg

1969 Buick Special Deluxe. Donated it to raise money for the town ambulance service. It didn't last long in the demolition derby, then was used as demonstration for jaws of life, and finally, people paid fifty cents to whack it with a sledgehammer.

1971 MG Midget named "Thunder Bunny." Dark blue with a black interior and top. She had 1275 CC's under the hood and was a blast to drive.

2000 Pontiac Firebird when I turned 16. We picked it up on the dealer lot with 14 miles on it. It still sits in my garage.

1969 Ford LTD. I bought it when I was 14 so I could drive it to work on the farms. I wrecked it twice and had three tickets before I turned 16 and got my drivers license.

1983 Plymouth Horizon

rwp_amercianimports_25.jpg

Bling bling!

My condolences. I once owned the Dodge version of that - the Omni. It was the bain of my existence for about 3 years. I used to swap out the O2 sensors on that car every 3-6 months at $100 a pop. I finally sold the car. I still feel guilt pangs 20 years later about sticking someone else with that piece of crap. I should have just had it crushed.

That's the car that swore me off MOPAR - and I used to love MOPAR. My first car was a '74 Plymouth Satellite. Best car I ever owned.

1989 Honda CRX HF.

The most efficient car I've ever owned and I wish I still had it as a daily driver because it got 65 MPG on the open highway and 50+ around town! Most motorcycles don't even get gas mileage like that!
1700 lbs
1.5L 8-valve that made 65 gerbil power with a 5 speed manual slushbox.

I remember filling it up for $7.50 back in 1998 and it would go 400+ miles on that!

attachment.php

1989 Honda CRX HF.

The most efficient car I've ever owned and I wish I still had it as a daily driver because it got 65 MPG on the open highway and 50+ around town! Most motorcycles don't even get gas mileage like that!
1700 lbs
1.5L 8-valve that made 65 gerbil power with a 5 speed manual slushbox.

I remember filling it up for $7.50 back in 1998 and it would go 400+ miles on that!

attachment.php

Jeebus! That is ridonculous!

too bad they stopped production

79 Plymouth Horizon TC3. The damn thing was almost as old as me. I remember it used to keep chugging after I'd cut the engine, maybe once ever three or four times. I'd have to keep a flat head screw driver handy, pop the hood, and basically pry open the carbuerator to let it off-gas so it'd stop... Aside from that, good little car.

Latest posts

Back