Anyone know of a thread here for hop drying...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackBayBrewing

Reaction score
...instead of dry hopping. Every time I do a search for hop drying or anything like it, I get results for dry hopping. While those are helpful in their own right, they aren't helping me much at the moment.

Basically, I am looking for pictures of any homemade hop drying kilns out there that people may have made. Looking for ideas.

Thanks much.

First, just search the "Hop Growing" forum. And try keywords like "Oast". I don't recall too many pictures but there are some.

You could build an Oast. Plans are available online.

How I did it last year was to get some cheap furnace filters. Support them with a few boards or a ladder supported on both ends. Put a fan underneath and if you have it, a small portable heater. Let them sit and check until dry.

In addition to "oast", try "hops dryer" and that will give you a few hits.

An old screen door/window works well. Basically get them spread out with as much air movement around them as you can and they will dry just fine.

I saw somewhere online someone dried his hops this way. He took a couple of screens out of his windows, then spread the hop flowers out on the screens and just set them in the garage.

Hops on screens in the attic works well for drying hops. I did mine in paper bags last year when the yield was small.

Alton Brown had a really good idea for drying herbs on "Good Eats." Basically you lay out your herbs, hops in this case, on cheapo furnace filters. Stack them up then bungee cord them to a box fan. Turn the fan on and let it go for a couple of days. Simple as that. If you're gonna go that route, I'd suggest rotating the layers of filters every day or so to get even drying.

Back