wet yeast fears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapes

Reaction score
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
This is the yeast from one of the oldest stout producing breweries in the world. It produces a slight hint of diacetyl, balanced by a light fruitiness and slight dry crispness. Great for Irish ales, stouts, porters, browns, reds and a very interesting pale ale.
Attenuation: 69-74%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

This is the yeast I'm using, haven't used a wet yeast before, didn't put much thought into it. Now doing the prebrew research I find there is some prep with liquid yeast. I checked my books, this site, and I can't find an answer to the proper prep before pitch.

The temp listed is that ambient air? Or fermenter barrel? I found on my first batch that the fermenter was 3-4 degrees warmer then ambient, 68 to 71 or so degrees. I'm thinking of fermenting this in the basement which is a few degrees cooler.

I was planning on brewing tomorrow but I get the impression my yeast won't be ready.

Not beyond the fact that you should always make some form of a starter with liquid yeast. I recommend for any gravity beer, but typically folks say for beers above 1.040. Making a starter, besides growing enough yeast to ferment your beer, it also proves to you that the yeast is viable before you pitch. That way you won't hopefully be tempted to start an "is my yeast dead" thread. It gives you peace of mind.

Yeah,I gotta find something to make my starters in for the WL029 ale/kolsh yeast I got in yesterday. They throw stuff out that looks like it's not being used. Dang,there went yeast washing jugs too. Need a quick fix. A 24 hour starter should br fine according to the white labs guy on youtube.

Latest posts

Back