Using lager yeast with bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any reason I shouldn't do this? I have a slurry I wanted to pitch with Brett l.
Is this a bad idea?

Thanks

No reason you can't pitch brett into a lager. Lighter beers with low abv tend to accentuate the funkiness.

A couple of the best American sours are based on lagers, Isabelle Proximus and La Folie. Although both were/are fermented at warmer temperatures (New Belgium in the 60s, and Lost Abbey in the 80s). Jolly Pumpkin also ferments half of Biere de Mars with lager yeast.

Oldsock said:
A couple of the best American sours are based on lagers, Isabelle Proximus and La Folie. Although both were/are fermented at warmer temperatures (New Belgium in the 60s, and Lost Abbey in the 80s). Jolly Pumpkin also ferments half of Biere de Mars with lager yeast.

Sold! Thanks to all for the info.

Seems like the Brett eats up all the esters created by the original yeast anyway. So you don't have to worry about high-fermented lager flavors.

Now the question is, what happens when you lager a sour? Does the character change much?

Back