Help with PM recipe inspired by Union Jack IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
I want to brew this weekend and I still haven't figured out exactly what I want to brew :)

I had a Union Jack the other day for the first time and it was a pretty decent beer. The two things that stand out with this beer are the bright golden/yellow color and the Amarillo hop aroma.

I've only had the beer once so I don't think I have enough tasting experience to clone, but here's my big question: Is it possible to get that bright, light color by doing a PM?

Here's the start of a recipe I'm thinking of:

5 Gallon Batch:

New Recipe (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.082 (°P): 19.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.021 (°P): 5.3
Alcohol (ABV): 8.06 %
Colour (SRM): 9.5 (EBC): 18.7
Bitterness (IBU): 86.0 (Average)

65.12% Dry Malt Extract - Light
18.6% Pale Malt
16.28% Crystal 10

0.2 oz/Gal Warrior (15.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 oz/Gal Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 oz/Gal Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 65°F with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Brewmate says this recipe should be very light, however it only has options for Light/Amber/Dark malt extract, not Extra Light. I'm also thinking about going with a British Ale strain, like 1098 to keep some more malty flavor. I understand that the original Firestone Union Jack has a huge and complex hop bill, but I'm trying to keep this one a little simpler for my first recipe attempt.

This is my first crack at building my own recipe - go easy on me!!

Back