Camden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexton69

Reaction score
I put Camden tablets in crushed up to finish my hard cider. I must of not crushed it enough now it wont dissolve and just floats on top and through out my cider..any suggestions

I put Camden tablets in crushed up to finish my hard cider. I must of not crushed it enough now it wont dissolve and just floats on top and through out my cider..any suggestions

They should dissolve eventually, but if you need to you can use a sanitized dowel or something and fish out the chunks.

I put my campden in whole. Never had a problem with them dissolving. They usually sink to the bottom and within an hour they are gone.

divi2323 said:
I put my campden in whole. Never had a problem with them dissolving. They usually sink to the bottom and within an hour they are gone.

Yeah crushed mine up and they just keep floating up And down with bubbles..the femintad ion should of stopped by now and the campden tablet should of dissolved it's been 36 hours..wonder if my tablets are no good

Weird... I hear people report this all the time, but when I did my cider in september each of 5 fermenters got a couple tablets which I broke but wouldn't say crushed, and they were completely dissolved within a half hour, and bleached out the cider a couple shades. I think it might be a freshness issue. My LHBS does more wine than beer, and they move all that stuff through pretty quick. I wouldn't worry about it and would just pitch your yeast. Unless you added a bunch of them I can't see it interfering with your fermentation. Once cider gets yeasted it takes off like a rocket.

Yooper said:
Well, campden tablets won't stop active fermentation, so if that's what you're waiting for, it won't happen whether they are crushed or not.

What's the best chemical to make it stop completely and to bottle for shelves

Latest posts

Back