sanitizing fruit with campdem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbys

Reaction score
I'm working on a Requiem Raspberry and getting the raspberries ready to add to the secondary. I was planning to follow this technique :

"Thaw berries. Crush 1 campden tablet/3-4 lbs of berries, and mix with 1/4 cup of boiling water. Pour over the berries (which should be in a sanitized container), swirl it around, and let this soak for 24 hours. Your berries will be sterilized at this point and can be added to the wort."

When sanitizing fruit this way, do you soak them at room temperature or refrigerate them ?
Thanks

I just brewed a strawberry hefeweizen. I bought frozen berries, put a cup of water in a pot, added all the berries and kept them at around 160 degrees for 30 minutes, I stirred them through out to make sure they were all heating up thoroughly and then cold crashed them in the fridge for the rest of the day, then I put them in my secondary and siphoned on top of them. I tried one last night and I didn't get sick, and it tasted good! So, the sanitation worked. Plus, boiling them turned almost all of them into a thicker liquid that I think did better than it would have whole.

I used campden when making apple cider from fresh apples. I add the campden to room temp juice and let it sit for 12-24 hours before pitching my yeast, so I would think you would be fine to do this at room temp. Refrigerating wont hurt though.

The Campden reacts with the water to produce sulfur dioxide gas which dissipates after several hours after doing its job. I don't really worry too much about it, the gas may be slower to dissipate in a cold must or juice than in a warm must or juice though. If you are using a cool fermenting yeast like D-47, you will want to keep it cool anyway to pitch the yeast at the right temperature.

Latest posts

Back