Aerating Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question on aerating wort. Im looking into getting an oxygenator, and using a disposable oxygen tank. I was wondering if it is best to get one and use a hepa filter mid way through the air line or does it not really matter? I figured you could just take the hose off sanitize it, and then attach it back on? What is your experience?

Thanks Home Brewers!
Cheers!

I use a aquarium pump and have a HEPA filter mid way through the O2 line. That way I can sanitize the stone and line below the filter and there's less of a chance to introduce dirty air or microbes into the wort.

In other words, what you're thinking will work.

Mine came with one. It really doesn't matter. A lot of folks on here who work with the red Oxygen bottles in "real life" say that the O2 in the bottle is clean and so are the interior of the bottles, so there's nothing to worry about. And also that's way not every version has it.

Mine came with it, but what I do is just use that as the quick disconnect point between the regulator and my stone mounted on a wand. If it costs extra I wouldn't bother with it, since, like I said, it's pretty optional. And if you are using one of those red non-refillable bottles normally used for welding, then that stuff is pretty pure or free of anything to worry about.

With an aquarium pump, however, I think I would, since you are NOT using a sealed container of oxygen, like a bottle, but really just pumping room air through the aquarium pump, so you would run the risk of pulling in particulate matter.

With an open system, like that then yes....with a closed system like a bottle, then no.

Back